Best Case Fan Configuration for CM HAF 912

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Hey guys! I have built my own PC using the CM HAF 912 case and I wanted to know the best case fan placement for the rig. I want the cooling to give priority to the GPU first as my temps for it were pretty high (80*C +) and I just wanted to know if my current set-up could be improved in any way. Now before anyone redirects me to a guide posted somewhere on the web, please know that not all cases are designed the same and not all fans that are used are the same so I wanted a suggestion based on the specifications I will list below:

-HAF 912 case

-Stock rear exhaust fan (120mm), top 200mm CM Megaflow exhaust fan, two 120mm CM Sickle flow intake fans in the front (one on top of other) and finally one stock 120mm intake fan I relocated to the side of case.

-Corsair A50 CPU cooler (I have put the fan so that it physically points downwards as it is an intake fan and the cooler air is being pulled from the bottom of the case)

-Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 w/ Dual fans (DiRT 3 Version)

I hope you guys can help me :) I'd really appreciate the constructive criticism. Even if my temps for my GPU may be normal, I'd still like to be able to bring them down as much as possible. I have taken my GPU apart and applied Arctic Silver 5 instead of the stock compound but it made the temps lower on idle but the temps were higher than before on full load. :??: I have reapplied but to no avail. Even when my GPU fan runs at 100% my temps are only like 4*C cooler on idle which doesn't seem right. Regardless I'd still like to know if my case can be optimized better. Thanks a lot guys! :D

Edit: Oh and if you guys want pics of my set-up, feel free to ask.

Solution
I looked at the 912 and I think that you should be able to mount the cpu cooler so that it is blowing towards the rear of the case. But, just double check it by measuring the total distance from fan to fan and then checking the inside of the case. Also, check to make sure that the cooler won't be crowding your RAM.

If you can't mount this way, it isn't a huge problem; you will just be pushing warm air into your GPU and then back up to the top of the case. I do this with my HAF X, but I turned the side fan to exhaust to help take out the hot air blowing downward.

You really only need a thin layer of TIM between the cooler and GPU/CPU. I personally try to err on the side of a little too little rather than too much.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Your case fan set up is fine.

I would have mounted the cpu cooler so that the air flow moves to the rear exhaust.

With the AS5 I believe that it takes about 200 running hours to cure, after which your temps will be lower.

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

Wow thanks for the thankfully positive feedback! :na: Do you know if it is possible for me put the CPU cooler that way? :??: Oh and I might have put a little too much thermal compound on my GPU. For ATI cards do you know how much TIM I should be applying? I put about 3/4 the size of a pea amount.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I looked at the 912 and I think that you should be able to mount the cpu cooler so that it is blowing towards the rear of the case. But, just double check it by measuring the total distance from fan to fan and then checking the inside of the case. Also, check to make sure that the cooler won't be crowding your RAM.

If you can't mount this way, it isn't a huge problem; you will just be pushing warm air into your GPU and then back up to the top of the case. I do this with my HAF X, but I turned the side fan to exhaust to help take out the hot air blowing downward.

You really only need a thin layer of TIM between the cooler and GPU/CPU. I personally try to err on the side of a little too little rather than too much.

Solution

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

My CPU fan is intake so it is pulling the warm air from the GPU not towards it. So basically it is blowing the hot air upwards to my top exhaust fan which then pulls it out of my system. Also, can you tell me if I should put like a rice grain amount of TIM or a bit more? Thanks.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
That's one opinion. I have never done a GPU. But for a CPU cooler I put down the grease, spread it evenly. Remove excess with a credit card if needed. Then mount the cooler.

I know that there are other opinions on how to apply TIM but that is how I do it.

TRENDING THREADS