Sign in with
Your question

First Cooling system!

Last response: in Overclocking
February 20, 2012 8:14:39 PM

Hi guys, i want to build my first watercooling loop and was hoping some more experienced guys could take a look at my parts list. I dont have the fittings or anything, because i wanted to make sure these main pieces were ok. Completely open to suggestions, i have no preference on any parts.

Radiator http://www.swiftech.com/mcrx20-xp-radiator-series-1.asp...
Pump http://www.swiftech.com/mcp350.aspx
Resovoir http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13883/ex-res-299/XSPC...
CPU block http://www.swiftech.com/apogeehd.aspx

Thank you

edit1:
my build is:
i5 2500k
p8z68 v pro
nzxt switch 810 case
i should probably say im going for silence as my main goal

More about : cooling system

a c 76 K Overclocking
February 20, 2012 8:36:40 PM

like rubix said to one poster a while back - silence has different interpretations with different people, maybe having a low rpm fan speed or maybe not being able to hear the ticking of the fan motor... there's no end to the silence equation.

* even if you eliminate the sound from the fan on your rad, there's the HDD spindle noise, PSU fan noise and the slight buzz from the pump.

instead of going mish-mash on the parts, since this'll be your first WC project , do what i was told in the beginning, getting a kit. its cheap and works out of the box.

if you're in the US/canada:
http://dazmode.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPat...

if you want more rad area - than you can also go for the upgrade options.

If you also want to do what i eventually did - read up ALOT of the stickies and forums on Watercooling. Your ONESTOP guide is look at the Watercooling sticky in this section. Research, google is your 2nd best friend.

The latter route was longer for me, as it took me nearly a year of looking around and consulting with forum members.

Hope this helps, and not discourage you into WC :) 
February 20, 2012 8:45:27 PM

Thank you, i was actually looking at XSPC kits before, they looked pretty nice.

And yea, ive been reading alot on different parts, but i will probably go with one of these kits
Related resources
a c 76 K Overclocking
February 20, 2012 8:50:10 PM

the kits from XSPC retrofitted with the new pump is actually a good thing. but if it were 6 months back, you'd get XSPC's high failure rated pump X20.

if you head over to frozencpu; http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15140/ex-wat-203/XSPC...
you get the similar XSPC kit, but have the option to choose the tubing

and the choices are self explanatory.

*come to think of it, rubix WAS right about that kit he linked back a few days - that kit has good potential to add GPU block into the loop.

** might want to think of rad placement in your case.
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 20, 2012 9:06:15 PM

XSPC kits with the D5 pump are a very nice addition/alternative to the 'kit' scene. This puts them squarely in competition with Swiftech and EK kits; where the prior standard X20 pump is pretty decent for a beginner loop, the D5 is a very, very good pump (I run one, so I'm partial).
a c 76 K Overclocking
February 20, 2012 9:12:18 PM

Quote:
(I run one, so I'm partial).
:) 
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 1:31:20 AM

XSPC with D5 and/or XSPC RX/EX kit. Skip out on the RS kits.
February 21, 2012 1:37:39 AM

rubix_1011 said:
XSPC with D5 and/or XSPC RX/EX kit. Skip out on the RS kits.

RS is the best value and all anyone ever needs for any CPU.
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 2:08:48 AM

If it's only a CPU loop, I agree. However, depending on actual budget and future plans to include GPU, while the X20 pump can push a loop like that, why not start off with a better foundation? But in short- RS kits are fine for an entry kit for CPU only if that is all it will ever do. If there are plans for a bigger loop, you are better off just starting off with a better pump.
February 21, 2012 2:14:25 AM

rubix_1011 said:
If it's only a CPU loop, I agree. However, depending on actual budget and future plans to include GPU, while the X20 pump can push a loop like that, why not start off with a better foundation? But in short- RS kits are fine for an entry kit for CPU only if that is all it will ever do. If there are plans for a bigger loop, you are better off just starting off with a better pump.

WTF ever happened to MaxiShine is he even still alive LOL.
a c 76 K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 4:08:13 AM

that EX rad kit is good - but it performs a lil better than the RS rad. If you want a bigger headroom - better off with the thicker rad.

I'd go for extra rather than have no extra :p 
February 21, 2012 4:31:28 AM

Lutfij said:
that EX rad kit is good - but it performs a lil better than the RS rad. If you want a bigger headroom - better off with the thicker rad.

I'd go for extra rather than have no extra :p 

LOL rs 240 will push any CPU to is max no problem but if you want to cool more than yes get more LOL but OP is just looking to cool the CPU ok so its his first setup so lets keep it simple RS 240 is perfect and he can put the saving into an SSD etc rather than buying a bigger rad/pump he will not use LOL.
February 21, 2012 5:25:24 AM

my opinion is if you can get the rx rad in there now than do it. dont have enough $$$? save. its better to get the best you need now than waste money later selling what you no longer want to get what you can get one month from now. and the res, i have that one, its a bitch to bleed. the inlet is around 1/4 of an inch from outlet, which took around 3 days to get all the air out because the air would get sucked right back into my loop. but my pump is mcp35x, dont know how powerful the one you picked out is but if you have room at the bottom of your case for the pump and res than do that. easier to bleed and easier to drain. thats my two cents, good luck
a c 76 K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 6:10:17 AM

^ +1 to tj's pointers. thas another reminder of why i went custom without drivebay res.

FYI - the pump is a replacement to the X20 so OP will yet retain the drivebay res, thus PITA bleeding is yet present. Hey this just came to mind, has OP taken a look at the Swiftech HD kit? get the 220 flavor now, since pump is great - more rad area can go on as well as GPU blocks - should you want to cool them down the road.

not trying to influence, just offering opinion :) 
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 1:26:25 PM

Regardless, I think I just upped my recommendation baseline to be the Rasa/Raystorm kits with the D5 or any of the Swiftech kits. No sense in messing with that X20 pump when you have the option of a D5, even if it bumps the cost.
a c 76 K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 1:32:30 PM

^ yeah :) 
February 21, 2012 2:01:15 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Regardless, I think I just upped my recommendation baseline to be the Rasa/Raystorm kits with the D5 or any of the Swiftech kits. No sense in messing with that X20 pump when you have the option of a D5, even if it bumps the cost.

Get what you need not want you will be better off.
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 2:08:52 PM

I disagree- there really isn't a 'need' for watercooling at all, so any of it should effectively be considered a 'want'.
February 21, 2012 2:48:07 PM

I just woke up and read all of this, thanks for the help everyone
February 21, 2012 3:53:23 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I disagree- there really isn't a 'need' for watercooling at all, so any of it should effectively be considered a 'want'.

Save and spend you money on games man LOL.
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 4:13:26 PM

Not everyone plays games, though. It really depends on each person, their budget and intended use.

If you have the budget to buy a Ferrari, you also likely have the budget to fill it up with gas.
February 21, 2012 4:22:11 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Not everyone plays games, though. It really depends on each person, their budget and intended use.

If you have the budget to buy a Ferrari, you also likely have the budget to fill it up with gas.

What are ya yammerin on about LOL.
a c 76 K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 4:23:29 PM

okay...mr booboo - you're getting more and more into convincing OP to get the RS, this forum is about advise not orders :/ 

:lol:  yeah thas what i tell people, get a corolla if you think gasoline is expensive - run it on soyabean oil :p 
February 21, 2012 4:26:42 PM

Lutfij said:
okay...mr booboo - you're getting more and more into convincing OP to get the RS, this forum is about advise not orders :/ 

:lol:  yeah thas what i tell people, get a corolla if you think gasoline is expensive - run it on soyabean oil :p 

Home made Biodiesel FTW!
a c 76 K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 4:33:47 PM

:)  but the OP didn't mention anything about strict budget thus the Ferrari route :) 

Quote:
Completely open to suggestions, i have no preference on any parts.
February 21, 2012 4:41:33 PM

Lutfij said:
:)  but the OP didn't mention anything about strict budget thus the Ferrari route :) 

Quote:
Completely open to suggestions, i have no preference on any parts.

No wonder America has economically collapsed LOL.
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 4:43:29 PM

Watercooling foodchain:

Using Nothing > Using mud and rocks > Pouring refrigerated mayonnaise directly on CPU > Thermaltake Bigwater/Zalman Reserator > Corsair H-series > Rasa RS 240 > Everything else in the entire watercooling world.
a c 76 K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 4:45:05 PM

:lol:  ^^^ kudo's mate! had a good laugh
February 21, 2012 4:49:19 PM

Lutfij said:
:lol:  ^^^ kudo's mate! had a good laugh

Were doomed ^
a c 76 K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 4:51:33 PM

^ inevitable, we aren't immortal - our soul is however :) 

* we're going too offtopic, OP might've fled the forums :p 
February 21, 2012 9:55:31 PM

Lutfij said:
^ inevitable, we aren't immortal - our soul is however :) 

* we're going too offtopic, OP might've fled the forums :p 

We could all live like kings for 200 years but you can thank the imperialistic oligarchy that we die young and live shitty lives as economic Slaves in comparison.
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 12:23:42 AM

Let's keep this on topic- we've strayed far off course since the OP last dropped in.
a c 76 K Overclocking
February 26, 2012 11:35:47 AM

$300 FTW... :) 
!