Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Raid 1 Setup First time

Last response: in Storage
September 11, 2011 3:03:31 AM

i want to setup raid 1 using x2 WD black 1tb drives for the redundancy it have... i have a 500gb external drive to backup my files on...because to setup a raid config i need to erase my files on my 1tb drive right?? so this is where i need help.. do i need to reinstall windows to setup raid and i heard something about a floppy for raid drivers is needed also..never thought setting up a raid 1 to mirror my drives can be so hard. i would like some professional help on setting up raid 1.. i was honestly going to setup raid 1 without thinking...then i found out it would erase my files on my drives.. good thing i didnt. so i have x2 1tb drives and one 500gb external i use for backup....can i get some help for raid 1? as for the floppy raid driver will the cd that my motherboard came with install the raid drivers or do i need to create one?

More about : raid setup time

a c 82 G Storage
September 11, 2011 3:17:57 AM

Your post is difficult to read.

Where is the OS (which one) installed? If it's installed on a 1 TB drive, then you simply need to add the second drive and RAID them (presuming that your controller was already in RAID mode when you installed the OS).
m
l
September 11, 2011 3:20:45 AM

i have windows 7 home installed on one of 1tb drive...i dont think it was in raid mode when i installed the os(anyway to check)dont have knowlegde regarding raid ..i bought the 2nd 1tb drive months after i build my pc.
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2011 3:22:59 AM

do i need a floppy raid driver for windows 7...read somewhere that windows 7 have driverless support for raid driver..and my mobo is msi 890gxm g65 which supports raid with its sb SB850
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
September 11, 2011 3:30:30 AM

Is your controller set in AHCI mode? If in IDE mode, then read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Once in AHCI, switch it to RAID and then install the Intel Rapid Storage drivers. Once that's done, use it to configure your RAID 1.

From Intel:

Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface and click the Create icon.
Follow the prompts to create a new RAID 1 volume. Your data will then be migrated from the single hard drive to the new RAID 1 volume.

P.S. To be safe (human error), perform a complete backup before upgrading to RAID 1.
m
l

Best solution

a c 82 G Storage
September 11, 2011 3:35:43 AM

f12ostii said:
do i need a floppy raid driver for windows 7...read somewhere that windows 7 have driverless support for raid driver..and my mobo is msi 890gxm g65 which supports raid with its sb SB850

Ignore the Intel instructions. It will be slightly different, but you still need to follow Microsoft's instructions. Then load the AMD drivers (I presume that AMD provide an application similar to Intel Rapid Storage) and follow the instructions. You definitely don't need a flopppy disk to install drivers.

Edit: If it can't be done from Windows, then you'll need to create the RAID in the BIOS. I believe that you need to press CTRL-F at POST to configure it in the BIOS. It can only be done after the RAID controller has been set in RAID mode.
September 11, 2011 3:36:30 AM

yes my controller is set in AHCI mode so i just switch it to raid then install the drivers....so i dont need to create a floppy raid driver or reinstall windows??? so i wont lost any data? and yes i always create a backup before doing something i know nothing about..haha
m
l
September 11, 2011 3:39:19 AM

amd site have a download for raid driver windows 7...so do i need some kind of raid driver at all? or does windows 7 is good without it to setup raid.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
September 11, 2011 11:17:19 AM

I would download and install the latest RAID drivers.
m
l
September 11, 2011 6:57:33 PM

download n install the raid drivers first then set raid up in bios?? would be most helpful if was given step by step
m
l
September 11, 2011 7:40:49 PM

GhislainG said:
I would download and install the latest RAID drivers.

i checked my bios and my controller is set to IDE so does this mean i really do have to reinstall windows and download the raid drivers at boot to get a raid array working??
m
l
September 11, 2011 8:11:15 PM

wow y cant settign raid be easy....such as installing 2 drives//set controller to raid mode(raid 1) then the drives mirror themselves without losing any data... who came up with this method of settign up raid...im so lost on this matter.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
September 11, 2011 8:49:47 PM

f12ostii said:
i checked my bios and my controller is set to IDE so does this mean i really do have to reinstall windows and download the raid drivers at boot to get a raid array working??

It means that you have to read my second reply and follow Microsoft's instructions.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
September 11, 2011 8:51:22 PM

f12ostii said:
wow y cant settign raid be easy....such as installing 2 drives//set controller to raid mode(raid 1) then the drives mirror themselves without losing any data... who came up with this method of settign up raid...im so lost on this matter.

It's that easy on an Intel platform and it shouldn't much more difficult on an AMD platform. You just need to know which drive is your current boot drive.
m
l
September 12, 2011 7:14:50 AM

GhislainG said:
It's that easy on an Intel platform and it shouldn't much more difficult on an AMD platform. You just need to know which drive is your current boot drive.

i know my current boot drive ....what comes after and what do i need to setup raid 1?
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
September 12, 2011 12:02:24 PM

Doesn't AMD provide RAIDXpert instructions? Read the last post at http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=300318 as it provides basic instructions. The key is to make your boot drive RAID ready, but it shouldn't be initialized; otherwise you'll lose your data. Again make sure that you have a complete backup just in case it doesn't work.
m
l
September 18, 2011 8:38:26 AM

thanks GhislainG i will backup and give raid 1 a try...sadly AMD does not give any instruction or insight on setting up raid or southbridge drivers or ahci drivers...jus give a date of the drivers and a warning that it may change your programs and safety precaution...
m
l
September 18, 2011 8:38:41 AM

Best answer selected by F12osTii.
m
l
!