cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
i have a pentium dual core 2.8ghz with a front side bus of 1066, however, i have the oppertunity to swop it for a pentium D 3.0ghz with a fsb of 800... witch is better???

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Is the 3GHz Processor a Pentium D 930?

I'd also like to know the model number on that Dual Core 2.8GHz Processor of yours.

It sounds to me like you're asking whether or not you should get rid of your Intel Pentium Processor E6300 and trade it in for a Pentium D 930.

If that is the case..

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND???? :p:p

If that is your CPU (E6300 a.k.a Core 2) then keep it. It beats the pants off a Pentium D 3.0GHz (a.k.a Dual Core Pentium 4).

A Pentium D is Pentium 4 technology from 6 years ago.

A E6300 PentiumDualCore is Core2 technology, using the same wolfdale core as a E7x00 except with 1mb of cache disabled.

You can cut a E6300 PentiumDualCore in half and it will still be faster than a Pentium D.

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
my e6300 is not core 2 duo( aka 2 CPU's with 2 channels), its a genuine dual core( 2 CPU's with only 1 channel... so the main difference between my dual core and the pentium D is the frequency and FSB

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

This is your CPU: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41493&processor=E6300&spec-codes=SLGU9

This is what you want to swap it for: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27518&processor=930&spec-codes=SL8WR,SL94R,SL95X

MHz (Frequency) is not the ultimate performance indicator. Performance indicators are a combination of different features such as Front Side Bus, Cache, Frequency, FPU and Integer per clock performance. In other words the architecture defines performance.

Someone is trying to throw you a curve ball (IMHO). A Pentium D 930 uses the Intel Netburst architecture. This architecture does very little work per clock therefore needs a higher working frequency in order to remain viable. It will be quite a bit slower than your current E6300 processor.

Your E6300 Processor is a cut down version of the Intel Conroe (Core 2 Duo) architecture. Even in it's cut down state it will still run circles around a Pentium D 930.

the Pentium D is an older tech that performed poorly even when new - look at the link of CPU's that was posted earlier - the 3.0Ghz. pentium D is on the Low mid range chart and is listed at 796 Passmark rating vs. your e6300 which is on the highen ranking chart and listed at an 1856 passmark rating !! so your e6300 is about 3x faster than the old Pentium D 3.0 GHz. (the GHz. rating of chips is not an indicator of the performance of the CPU except within the same generation of chip as new tech is released the CPUs can perform many times the processing with slower clock rates - never compare chips by the speed ratings !)

Channels? 2 CPUs?

A core2duo is 2 cores on 1 die on 1 cpu. A pentiumdualcore E5x00 and E6x00 uses the wolfdale Core2Duo e7x00 cores, and is 2 cores on 1 die on 1 cpu, except it has 1mb of cache disabled.

The PentiumDualCore and Core2 is basically the same, the main difference is cache.

A Pentium D is 2 cores on 2 dies on 1 cpu.

All three of them are dual cores. There is no such thing as genuine dual core or fake dual core. A Core2Quad uses 4 cores on 2 dies on 1 cpu - that doesn't mean it's a fake quad just because it has 2 dies.

PentiumDualCore is far superior to the Pentium D, both clock-per-clock, efficiency, architecture, power consumption, etc

That's not what AMD would have you believe. :)