Help in interpreting Spinrite results

glasskuter1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I have spent about 6 hours scoring the web for info on how to interpret Spinrite6 S.M.A.R.T. results. I hope someone who has experience using the program can help me. I am testing a 100GB ide drive. It is at 30% complete and has the following SMART readings.

temp 111F (what should normal temp be?)
ECC CORRECTED - err count 1389249/ minimum 7061/ err rate 11761/maximum 18487
SEEK ERRORS - err count 32510 / minimum 149/err rate 275/ maximum 488
WRITE ERRORS - err count 310294 /minimum 2397/err rate 2593 / maximum 3236

On the Graphic Status Display no sectors indicate any defective, recovered, or unrecovered data. All of the tested sectors are marked in white.

I can not figure out what this all means and what readings are acceptable or what clearly indicates a hard drive failure. Everything on all of Spinrite's screens is in white. Nothing is in red. I downloaded the Spinrite5 documentation but it was no help. I hope someone can help me and that I have not wasted $70 on this program. From all my research I have found a lot of other people are just as confused as I am by Spinrite readings. You would think that there would be explanatory info somewhere that novices like me can understand. I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Data recovery professionals will tell you that SpinRite is a waste of money. Worse still, it is potentially a drive killer. This is because it will keep hammering away at a bad sector up to several thousand times, hoping for one good read. Even if it is successful, it then writes the recovered data back to the same sector. A drive with a weak head (a common problem in modern drives) must be cloned ASAP, without dwelling on bad patches in the media. To this end, you would have been better off paying for something like Media Tools Pro. Two freeware alternatives are ddrescue and dd_rescue.

As for the "SMART" data, what is the drive's model number, and what SMART data are reported by regular SMART software such as HD Sentinel or HDDScan?

Have you tried asking Steve Gibson what his numbers mean?