Sign in with
Your question

Seagate 500 Gb External Drive not working !

Last response: in Storage
September 11, 2011 8:33:02 AM

am using a Seagate 500 GB Free Agent GoFlex portable external drive and I have been using it for a few months. Recently upon connecting my external drive to my computer it would not autorun as it usually did and it did not appear in the My Computer folder. It did however detect it as there icon for safe removal at the bottom right hand corner was referencing the drive. I went into device manager and it was shown under USB controllers as a USB mass storage device. Upon checking the disk management section I noticed that it showed my external as Disk 1 - Unknown - 2048.00 GB - Not Initialized, 2048.00 Unallocated. For some reason it is reading more capacity then the actual drive has. I have tried the drive on multiple computers with multiple cables. The light powers on fine and it sounds fine as well. I did my best to search for a similar issue on the forums but couldn't find one.
September 12, 2011 12:01:38 AM

You need to try a program to rebuild the MBR of that drive to be able to read the data off it. Just do a quick search online. If you can't rebuild the mbr then you will need a data recovery software to transfer out all the data.
m
l
September 12, 2011 2:56:12 AM

Mu33rto said:
You need to try a program to rebuild the MBR of that drive to be able to read the data off it. Just do a quick search online. If you can't rebuild the mbr then you will need a data recovery software to transfer out all the data.

I used various partition manager software but none of them managed to do so ! There is no option like Rebuild MBR visible when the drive is selected ! Some software tells it can't be done because of some IO error :( 

How can i recover my data ?? Is it Possible ?
m
l
Related resources
September 12, 2011 3:17:04 AM

technoankur said:
I used various partition manager software but none of them managed to do so ! There is no option like Rebuild MBR visible when the drive is selected ! Some software tells it can't be done because of some IO error :( 

How can i recover my data ?? Is it Possible ?

Yes its possible was the partition in FAT32 or NTFS? Try getbackntfs or the FAT version... you should be able to get youre data back with those apps. http://www.ptdd.com/recoverdeletedpartition.htm might help
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
September 12, 2011 7:19:33 AM

I suspect that the problem may be physical one rather than a logical one.

How do either of the following utilities detect your HDD?

HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
http://www.hdsentinel.com/

HDDScan for Windows:
http://hddscan.com/
m
l
September 12, 2011 7:33:26 AM

Nothing worked guys :(  All these software either reads it as a bad disk which on initializing reports the IO error !!
m
l
February 28, 2014 5:32:10 AM

technoankur said:
am using a Seagate 500 GB Free Agent GoFlex portable external drive and I have been using it for a few months. Recently upon connecting my external drive to my computer it would not autorun as it usually did and it did not appear in the My Computer folder. It did however detect it as there icon for safe removal at the bottom right hand corner was referencing the drive. I went into device manager and it was shown under USB controllers as a USB mass storage device. Upon checking the disk management section I noticed that it showed my external as Disk 1 - Unknown - 2048.00 GB - Not Initialized, 2048.00 Unallocated. For some reason it is reading more capacity then the actual drive has. I have tried the drive on multiple computers with multiple cables. The light powers on fine and it sounds fine as well. I did my best to search for a similar issue on the forums but couldn't find one.

m
l
!