Best AM2+ motherboard compatible with AM3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUPER NAME

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
What would you suggest as the best AM2+ motherboard which is compatible with AM3 CPUs? Reason being I already have 4GBs of DDR2 RAM, and paying $100 for DDR3 just to use an AM3 board simply does not seem worth it/not within my budget.

I will be using the machine primarily for gaming, and Crossfire would be nice to have (but not necessary).

Also, being my first build, having at least some newb OC settings would be preferred, but also not necessary.

Thanks in advance! :D

Solution
^Ok.

1- 2GB + 2x1GB=4GB, BUT not in the best configuration. 2x2GB is a very good option and you can add more RAM in the future. If you are thinking in tri-channel, that only works for x58 chipset and i7-9xx series.
2- The GPU is good, but for the processor that you want, I would go for something better, a 5850 or 5870.
3- The only mobo that I can find that has been tested with the X6 and is supported with a BIOS update are Gigabyte. BUT are m-ATX and have onboard video, that I not recommend for a gaming rig and more with that processor.
4- If you really want the best performance of your rig, I suggest to you go with AM3 mobo and DDR3, the DDR2 could bottleneck your CPU and rig.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
yeah pretty much any board with a 785 chipset will do the job and do it well!

I'd reccomend something from asus. Just look for a board with all the fuctions you want, and no more. No reason to spend a lot of money on a motherboard if it only provides more stuff which you don't need.

I'd be looking around the 100-120$ range...

SUPER NAME

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

Sure thing. I plan on using a single HD 5770 (thought over Crossfire, won't need it) and 2 sticks of 1GB and 1 stick of 2GBs of DDR2 RAM.

The CPU will be (whenever it is out) a Thuban 1055T (which is AM3). IIRC, simply updating the BIOS can allow me to use this CPU with the AM2+ motherboard you recommend, correct?

^Ok.

1- 2GB + 2x1GB=4GB, BUT not in the best configuration. 2x2GB is a very good option and you can add more RAM in the future. If you are thinking in tri-channel, that only works for x58 chipset and i7-9xx series.
2- The GPU is good, but for the processor that you want, I would go for something better, a 5850 or 5870.
3- The only mobo that I can find that has been tested with the X6 and is supported with a BIOS update are Gigabyte. BUT are m-ATX and have onboard video, that I not recommend for a gaming rig and more with that processor.
4- If you really want the best performance of your rig, I suggest to you go with AM3 mobo and DDR3, the DDR2 could bottleneck your CPU and rig.

Solution

SUPER NAME

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

Hmm.. I assume that would be best (although a little over my budget). Best to make my system last longer with a little more $$.

Can you recommend an Asus or Gigabyte (preferred) AM3 motherboard?

April 26th is the release of the Thuban and with that, also comes out the 890FX chipset.

So, U can wait until that day and see if you can get a new 890FX mobo, or get a 790FX mobo that maybe drop their prices a little.

Mobo recommendations:

The followings are with the new 890FX chipset.

1- ASUS Crosshair IV
2- MSI 890FX-DG70
3- Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7

The followings are with 790FX chipset

1- ASUS Crosshair III Formula
2- Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5
3- MSI 790FX-GD70

All are high-end mobos, but exist more cheap that are very good.

Now, you can choose according to your budget, that's why I always ask for it.

SUPER NAME

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

That MSI 790FX board seems like a great deal.

However, can you please explain the prime differences between the 790FX chipset and the soon-to-be 890FX?

This is my first time building a PC, so I'd like to be informed as much as possible. :)

1- 890FX support USB 3.0 and SATA III native, only few 790FX support both characteristics.
2- The 890FX chipset is 55nm, the 790FX is 65nm, less size, better power administration, less power use and less heat.

Until know those are the differences that I know. I think that the mobo needs comes out to find the reviews and comparatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.