Asus P7P55D Pro QVL and Corsair Dominator DDR3 RAM?

Raraku

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Hi all, thanks for checking out the thread, and for any assistance you can give me.

I'm building a new rig soon with a P7P55D Pro. I want to use Corsair Dominator (2 x 2GB) memory in it. I went to the Asus website to download the QVL, but although the QVL has several types of Corsair RAM on the list, I literally cannot find a single set from Newegg that matches the model/part numbers on the QVL. All of the part numbers on the QVL start with 'TR3' or 'CM3' while all the sets on Newegg start with 'CMP' 'CWD' 'TWD' etc. What the heck? I went to the Corsair website and of course the RAM is listed as compatible there (as I suspected it would be, and have heard it is) but what's up with the QVL List?

Also, can anyone answer me what the difference is between these two Dominator RAM kits listed at Newegg?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...45-265^20-145-265-TS,20-145-297^20-145-297-TS

(Sorry for the long link; I'm not sure how to use text instead). These 2 pairs have the exact same description and timings. The only difference is that one costs $147.99 with a $20 MIR, and the other is 150.99 with a $10 MIR, and they have different part numbers. The $150.99 kit also has 50 reviews, while the other one has none. Is one just an older model? I'm confident that the Corsair RAM will work, but at this stage I'm still very confused by the details. Thank you for any help you can give me, lol.

Raraku

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Hi!--and thank you for the welcome and the reply :),

Yes, I know that just because it's not in the QVL list doesn't mean it's not supported (especially for certain types of quality ram like Corsair Dominator)--I was just trying to understand the QVL. I mean, doesn't it seem odd that absolutely none of the part numbers match up? It seemed to me, actually, like most of the models listed were of tripple channel kits... which doesn't make sense for an LGA 1156 board, does it? Did someone just screw up the QVL?

Sorry about the link--I tried the "link" button but all it gave me was that, lol. Am I missing something? Would like to post the correct link, as I am still curious about the difference between the 2 ram. They can be found at the newegg.ca (Canadian) website under DDR3 1600 2 x 2GB Corsair Ram.

I think its a mistake from them putting triple channel memory RAMs in a P55 QVL list.
About the links,it opens but there are no models,it says
"You must first designate which items to compare by clicking on the appropriate check box in the product listing. "
So post the link to both RAMs instead

Raraku

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
That's the only thing I can think of... but isn't that a pretty awful mistake--to mix up your QVL x58 list with your QVL P55 list? What's the point of even publishing a QVL? lol.

Thank you for your help Maziar, here are the links to the 2 different types of ram:

The $147.99 - 0 reviews - $20 MIR ram.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145297

The $150.99 - 50 reviews - $10 MIR ram

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145265

You will notice they have virtually identical specifications... of course there are many other types of Corsair RAM on that page as well, including another type of Corsair with exact specifications, but a different model # and it costs $30.00 more. Why do these things have to be so complicated? lol.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Solution

Raraku

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Great, thank you to all for the helpful replies. That's good to know about the QVL lists--but seems highly unusual, since the reason people bother putting time into researching QVL's is to make sure they will have compatible RAM. I will be going with 4GB of the Corsair Dominator Ram. Thanks all :).

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006

Most QVLs are compiled prior to the release of the motherboard so that the information can be put into the manuals. And, the MOBO companies are focused on getting the board released and have only so much time and people to do RAM testing. RAM companies on the other hand can do more qualifications and especially the most popular boards. So, in many cases the RAM company data will be much more up to date.