Sign in with
Your question

Advice on upgrading

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2009 7:39:46 AM

Hi I have a 4 yr old machine.

MOBO - ASROCK K7s41 (socket A)

CPU - AMD Athalon 3200xp (core speed is 2200MHZ

RAM - HYNIX 2x1GB PC3200 DDR400 (400MHZ)

Graphics - ASUS - Radeon AH4650/D1/1GD2

Sound - onboard 5.1 intergrated in MOBO.

Can I increase the processor speed (i.e. buy a new chip) or am I limited by my MOBO?...if I need a new MOBO what do you recomend?

Thanks
Andy

More about : advice upgrading

October 25, 2009 7:41:25 AM

Sausage 7112 said:
Hi I have a 4 yr old machine.

MOBO - ASROCK K7s41 (socket A)

CPU - AMD Athalon 3200xp (core speed is 2200MHZ

RAM - HYNIX 2x1GB PC3200 DDR400 (400MHZ)

Graphics - ASUS - Radeon AH4650/D1/1GD2

Sound - onboard 5.1 intergrated in MOBO.

Can I increase the processor speed (i.e. buy a new chip) or am I limited by my MOBO?...if I need a new MOBO what do you recomend?

Thanks
Andy

Actually...any advice on how to get this into a good machine without buying a new expensive PC would be much appreciated.
October 25, 2009 7:46:03 AM

Also I am running 2002 version of XP 32meg version that includes Service pack two and then I have had to download service pack 3 from Microsoft....would like Windows 7 but not sure it my PC will run too slow?

Regards
Andy
Related resources
October 25, 2009 7:50:38 AM

I don't think any of the more recent CPUs will fit into socket A... so you'll need to replace the MoBo, CPU, and RAMs.

We would need to your budget and what the machine will be used for to give you more specific help, though.
October 25, 2009 8:15:10 AM

dragoon190 said:
I don't think any of the more recent CPUs will fit into socket A... so you'll need to replace the MoBo, CPU, and RAMs.

We would need to your budget and what the machine will be used for to give you more specific help, though.

So in simple terms its almost all obsolete and I need to build a brand new machine....is any of it any good?

I was only hoping to spend £100 but this looks like it may be easier to buy a new PC...is teh Graphics any good...only recently bought that?

Also can't the RAM be used on a new and bigger Motherboard that has more RAM card slots?

Thx
October 25, 2009 8:16:48 AM

Machine will be used a home PC ...maybe odd game but I have XBOX360 so probably not....music videos...playing DVD's, downloading
a b B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2009 12:28:01 PM

4 years old is ancient technology in the PC world, and even at that, socket A has been dead for even longer than that, it's more like 5-6 years old. There is nothing about your PC that is upgradable, or will even carry over to a new system except maybe your drives. But even then, you would putting old outdated slow as molassas in winter drives into a new fast system, just does not really make sense.
The graphic card you bought, it is not a good gaming card, however it would work for your needs, BUT....... I believe that it is an AGP slot? If so, I am afraid to say that the AGP slot has been dead for some time as well. You will need a new GPU as well. PCIexpress is the standard now.
It's time to start all over my friend.
October 25, 2009 4:47:23 PM

Thx for your advice...I feared as much, although I thought the Graphics card was pretty good spec even for now....(shows how little I know eh!)...may as well use it as a back up on a LAN in my house.

Have seen the spec below for a new computer

AMD AM3 Quad Core X4 620 10.4Ghz Power PC
Fitted With 4GB DDR2 RAM & 500GB Hard Drive
With ASROCL K10N78 Mobo (FSB2600) with integrated nVidia GeForce 8200TC 1GB Direct X10 Graphics
Max Res 2560x1600 Inc 1080p Blu-Ray Support
Galaxy 3 Case With 450W PSU.

Is this any good?

If not what can you recomend in terms of

Case
PSU
MOBO
Graphics Gard
ChipSet
Ram
HD

I don't want to hack the Pentagon or edit HD movies so no need for anything over the top...just a good spec that will last me a few years....that can be upgraded relatively easy in the future?

Anyone any suggestions?
!