Rad mod question

I'm starting the tear-down and mod on my case today . I dont have the rx 240 here yet but I want to cut the 4 1/2 inch holes . Can I just use two 120 mm fans front too back as a template for the mounting/blowholes .. I already know the rest of the process btw . ty
13 answers Last reply
More about question
  1. yes, put the fan housing where you want it and etch/pen/scratch the circle inside,
    then you know what to remove using whatever method you've chosen :)
    Moto
  2. @ rufus - might want to wait a few days and then maybe mount fans and take dimensions. Don't take me offensively, if you have another case to fall back on, if you screw it UP :P than yeah go ahead. Otherwise its better safe tahn being sorry.

However you can prove me wrong by googling all the necessary rad dimensions, putting it on paper, take a print out and cut away :D
  3. assuming the fan/fan housing is symetrical I can scribe the outside edge of the fan onto the painters (blue) tape and draw diagonals corner to corner to find the center of each 120 mm . Im going with rx240 x 2 in theroof of my case . I would use rx 360 x 2 there but that would leave me with only one 120mm as an exhaust . The two 240's are oriented in a lateral set up . Fresh air in one side of the case and the exhaust out the other side. if I,m water cooling the cpu and gpu do I need more than a single 120 mm for general case venting ?
  4. :/ in that case, the orientation of the airflow is what you need to look at. Just make sure your exhaust = or > intake.\\so how will you have the rads draw air? will they be mounted internally? that'd mean you'll have the rads throw warm/hot air into the case - so you should prepare to remove it from the case.

hope that helped.
  5. Photo might help, if possible?
  6. the rad / fan set up is isolated from the common case volume . I'm partitioning off the fan - rad - fan - rad - fan - location so i have a fresh in / hot out with no interaction with the rest of the case cavity , and after some "nerd time "with the case skeleton today I think I can do rx 360 x 2 and still keep the 2nd exhaust !
  7. rufus_22 said:
    assuming the fan/fan housing is symetrical I can scribe the outside edge of the fan onto the painters (blue) tape and draw diagonals corner to corner to find the center of each 120 mm . Im going with rx240 x 2 in theroof of my case . I would use rx 360 x 2 there but that would leave me with only one 120mm as an exhaust . The two 240's are oriented in a lateral set up . Fresh air in one side of the case and the exhaust out the other side. if I,m water cooling the cpu and gpu do I need more than a single 120 mm for general case venting ?

Yes, a common misconception is that if you are watercooling, you don't need airflow in the case, you do, just as much as before, try and throw a couple of intakes in there as well as that exhaust, although playing around will obviously get you the best results for your case/set up,
    and please post us some pics hehe, we need a visual on what we're working with here :P
    Moto
  8. roger roger!
  9. I have a pair of 140mm intakes and as of now a pair of 120mm exhausts and I'm thinking now that if I do a little demo to the front of the case in the 5.25 bay/bays area I can move the 360's forward and still have both exhausts . And ill see what I can do on the pictures . Its a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112342&Tpk=pc-a70f btw
  10. I have a 120 modded into my 5.25 drivebay, I reckon with some snipping out you can get two in there,(unfortunately not side by side though) another idea on those lines is swap your dvds drive for a slimline one, give yourself more room to play with
    Moto
  11. Lol ..ty for the input all but I've switched gears and reverted to a design I came up with a couple weeks ago . I'm building an "undercarriage" style rad bay . I'm running out now to get the aluminium .. This way I'll be able to use dual rx480's with no concerns over crouding other components and chopping up all the nice aluminum .....Ill post pics when I can .. cheers
  12. Separate radbox, nice one, :)
    Moto
  13. yah ty ! got the mats and set up the work area . Starting in the morning . Building it to the width dimemsions of the case x approx 6 inch tall x length of case to accomodate rx480 x 2 in - fan - rad - fan - rad - fan configuration and matching materials to ( hopefully ) match the look of the stock case .
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Cases Overclocking Product