Sign in with
Your question

D-link vs Linksys Wireless

Last response: in Components
January 11, 2010 6:52:59 PM

I recently bought a desktop pc, but I need to install a wireless adapter. I have come across some which will suit my needs. I would like to know which of the following adapters is better.

Linksys WMP110, RangePlus Wireless PCI Adapter

OR

D-Link DWA-552 RE Xtreme N Desktop Adapter

Thanks

More about : link linksys wireless

January 11, 2010 8:10:32 PM

The Dlink is wireless N, and the linksys is not. If your definition of better includes faster, and you have an N router, it may work better. If you don't have N, I would actually look at a different card, both of these cards have problems, such as win 7 incompatibility and poor range, even the range booster. Most cards are garbage and give you lots of problems.

I have better success with bridges, and even better performance with a router turned into a bridge. Linksys bridges were very well for me.
January 11, 2010 8:18:04 PM

I'm not sure how bridges work. Could you clarify this for me?
And about the windows 7 compatibility, I looked on the windows update catalog, and found windows 7 drivers for the D Link. I am using wireless N with AirPort Extreme.
Related resources
a b F Wireless
January 11, 2010 9:31:24 PM

D-Link all the way, Netgear products of late have been poop.
January 11, 2010 10:30:27 PM

das_stig, the other choice was Linksys, not Netgear. But I agree :) 

steveg2a, a bridge is basically a network connection device that connects via your ethernet port on the back of the PC. Think of it as a wireless network card that is outside the pc.

Check this out:
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WET54G

it has much better range than any PCI card I've ever used.
January 11, 2010 11:27:06 PM

Hi, my vote goes for D-Link, i have one DIR-600 with Win 7 and Win XP SP3 and work very good, without problems and really fast.
!