Samsung vs. Sony

Hi,

I think about buying a ne notebook. It needs to be small with a long
battery life. Nevertheless it should be as powerful as possible (the
laptop everyone wants ;-)

Now I have seen two notebooks I could like, but I am not sure which one to
buy:
- Sony VAIO PCG-Z 1 XSP
- Samsung P35 XVM 1800
- Samsung X30 WVC 1700

The Sony has a DVD burner, like the P35. The X30 has a wide screen and no
DVD burner. The P35 is rather expensive. What do you think? Is Samsung a
good brand?

Thanks for helping

Sebastian
1 answer Last reply
More about samsung sony

    Samsung makes good reliable products. Remember however
    that computer users also need software support. Neither
    Sony nor Samsung have a good reputation for sw support.

    If you want the best quality, most reliable notebook in
    a lightweight package, buy a Panasonic W2 or Y2. If you
    want a top quality, well rounded product with excellent
    support, buy an IBM X series or a Fujitsu P or S series.

    Built-in DVD burners are not worth the money. They are
    slower than the off-board units. Burning DVD's or CD's
    takes a lot of power, and runs counter to the standard
    notebook design goal of stretching battery life to the
    max. I doubt you're planning to burn DVD's while on a
    transoceanic flight, are you? So why pay extra for a
    capability you probably don't need?

    For both economic and practical reasons, it makes more
    sense to have/use an external DVD burner, especially
    if you have more than one computer. All the more so
    now that dual layer burners are now on the market,
    but not in portable slimline designs.

    dk

    "Sebastian Höhn" <shoehn@web.de> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I think about buying a ne notebook. It needs to be small with a long
    > battery life. Nevertheless it should be as powerful as possible (the
    > laptop everyone wants ;-)
    >
    > Now I have seen two notebooks I could like, but I am not sure which one to
    > buy:
    > - Sony VAIO PCG-Z 1 XSP
    > - Samsung P35 XVM 1800
    > - Samsung X30 WVC 1700
    >
    > The Sony has a DVD burner, like the P35. The X30 has a wide screen and no
    > DVD burner. The P35 is rather expensive. What do you think? Is Samsung a
    > good brand?
    >
    > Thanks for helping
    >
    > Sebastian

Laptops Sony DVD Burner Notebooks Samsung