Windows 7 64-Bit Blue Screen.

mayu

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Hi,

I have a custom made rig that I made last year:

Processor: i7 930@2.8Ghz (used to be overclocked to 3.4Ghz)
Mother Board: EVGA X58 Classified Tri-SLI.
RAM: Corsair 6.0GB @1333Mhz
Video Card: EVGA 580 GTX and BFG 280 GTX(for Physx)
Power: Corsair 850Watts HX Modular.
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 Water Cooler.

Now I had my CPU over clocked for a while to 3.4Ghz and after almost a year I started to have Blue Screen so I went back to the original factory speed. But I am still having the error almost every day once or twice. I get only two types or blue screens:

1. Machine_Check_Exception 0x0000009c
2. Clock Interrupt was not received on a secondary processor 0x00000101

Can someone please help with these errors I have no idea what to do. I cleaned my computer there is no dust or anything since I have seen that some say it can be heat related. Right now my CUP Temps are in 30's 'C.

Whenever you OC your processor, you risk shortening it's life, especially if adequate cooling isn't provided. Some chips can be OC'ed for years without problems. Other's fail sooner. It's possible that irreversable damage was caused.

You can always try reinstalling you OS or try a different OS and see if the problem continues.

Did youir MB come with two bios chips? Sometimes with the x58 boards they were making them with a second bios , if yours was one of them then you could try the second bios. When you down clocked from 3.4ghz to the factory settings did you try a 3.2ghz or 3.oghz overclock to see if it would make a differencwe? You could also try shutting down some of the cores , maybe just using one or two.

mayu

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

I have Linux Ubuntu 11.04 installed as well on the same machine and Ubuntu 11.04 always runs without any problems. Its only windows where i run into this problem.

After a little more digging, it seems these two errors come up quite a bit and usually one of two things fixes it.

1. In the bios, try changing the C-state, possibly disable speedstep.

2. Update the chipset drivers.

Since Ubuntu doesn't seem to have a problem with the C-states, you may want to try option 2 first.