Sign in with
Your question

MSI 790FX-GD70 SATA port question

Last response: in Motherboards
April 20, 2010 5:38:32 AM

Hi,

I bought the MSI 790FX-GD70 for a build using a HTPC case that requires upright SATA conectors which the MSI 790FX-GD70 has two of. Problem is the two upright connectors are the Jmicron controlled ports and it states in the manual to use the black port first.

I only need two SATA ports, one for boot HDD and one for a Blu-ray writer, extra storage will be NAS or eSATA. Question is can I use the these two ports for this purpose? If so how much performance will I sacrifice, some I can live with, but I don't want to hobble my system.

As well what BIOS settings do I have to use in the bios?

Thanks for any help,
Fred

a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2010 6:29:26 PM

Well, all I can say is that I have the exact same board :) , and I didn't read that part of the manual until after I plugged my two HDD's into the JMicron controlled ports and got RAID and Windows set up. It works fine, so I'm not really sure what to tell you here...

You're probably better going with mosox's advice, though... I don't see why some 90-degree cables wouldn't work for that, although we don't know what case you're using, either...
m
l
May 23, 2010 8:44:54 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I had some 90 degree cables and they would not fit in, and thinking they were all basically the same, I figured I was out of luck. I was able to find some cables with a shorter connector and was able to install them, with an amazingly small amount of free space <.5mm, so I was lucky.

I am using an m-cubed HFX classic case, awesome case if you can get everything you want in it.

Thanks again.
m
l
!