Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive recognized 50% of the time

Last response: in Storage
September 11, 2011 1:37:22 PM

So, it is a coin toss whether or not my hard drive will be recognized when booting. It is a WD 2TB. If any of you knows what this means, I'll tell you what the properties says it is: WD20EADS-11R6B1 ATA Device.

I pulled it out of an external, and it is connected via a 3GB/s SATA connection. The connection is not loose. I've tried disconnecting it and reconnecting it(with the power off haha).

I am thinking the drive is just "going bad". I had it in Afghanistan as an external and sometimes it would be idle for a week+. It would at least be on that long.

Any suggestions? I have no other problems with the drive, once it is recognized.

Thanks.
September 11, 2011 1:43:12 PM

timothy2180 said:
So, it is a coin toss whether or not my hard drive will be recognized when booting. It is a WD 2TB. If any of you knows what this means, I'll tell you what the properties says it is: WD20EADS-11R6B1 ATA Device.

I pulled it out of an external, and it is connected via a 3GB/s SATA connection. The connection is not loose. I've tried disconnecting it and reconnecting it(with the power off haha).

I am thinking the drive is just "going bad". I had it in Afghanistan as an external and sometimes it would be idle for a week+. It would at least be on that long.

Any suggestions? I have no other problems with the drive, once it is recognized.

Thanks.

2 possibilities

1) you have a bad sata cable or power connector
2) the hard drives motherboard electronics are failing

If you have any important data you should back it up to an external hard drive or dvd as soon as possible.
m
l
September 11, 2011 3:46:12 PM

techguy911 said:
2 possibilities

1) you have a bad sata cable or power connector
2) the hard drives motherboard electronics are failing

If you have any important data you should back it up to an external hard drive or dvd as soon as possible.

I am currently working on the back up. As for the first possibility, if the cable were bad wouldn't it either not work at all, or stop working while my computer was booted up? Since my most recent boot like 6 hours ago, the drive has been recognized and working. It didn't work when I booted my computer this morning, so I rebooted and it recognized it.

#2: Would that not affect my other hard drives? I have 3 in my computer right now.
m
l
!