Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quad-core for everyday use?

Last response: in CPUs
January 11, 2010 8:24:32 PM

Since the backlight in my laptop died (after only 2.3 years of ownership no less!) I am in the market for a new laptop. I thought I found what I was looking for on Saturday (Blu-ray, Win7, discrete graphics, etc) and then I saw something new.

Basically I am looking for a Sony (any brand is fine, but I will look up the quality ratings online) and I saw on Sunday on their website they had a model the VIAO F series. It had all the specs that I was looking for and some really cool upgrades (SSD for $65 more, yes it is only 128GB, and Blu-ray reader for $75 extra). The thing that stood out is that it come standard with the Intel Core Quad i7-720QM. Also the display is a 16.4" 1920x1080 16:9 ratio display.

The thing I am wondering is the difference between a quad core (I have a dual core at present) and a dual core really that noticeable? I know when I went from single core to dual the difference was very noticeable. Also the 720QM has hyper-threading so that means it would actually have 8 logical cores.

More about : quad core everyday

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 11, 2010 8:42:30 PM

Atlantian said:

The thing I am wondering is the difference between a quad core (I have a dual core at present) and a dual core really that noticeable? I know when I went from single core to dual the difference was very noticeable. Also the 720QM has hyper-threading so that means it would actually have 8 logical cores.

Well it will depending on a few things:

First how fast was your old laptop.

Second it really depends on what your doing (games, web surfing, ect)

I cant say if you'll notice a difference between your old laptop and this laptop but depending on what you're doing it can. Video editing is a big plus with a core i7 certainly with HT if it can be used by the program. gaming, turbo boost will probably make things better.

Now 1 thing i can say is, with turbo boost, this cpu can be a 1.6 ghz quad core cpu, 2.4 ghz dual core cpu, or 2.8 ghz single core cpu. So in theory if your old laptop has slower than 2.4 GHz then you maybe able to see a the difference.
March 7, 2010 3:37:55 AM

Best answer selected by Atlantian.
!