Sign in with
Your question

First Homebuild Help - Case Selection

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2009 3:05:33 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm attempting my first homebuild of a gaming rig, and have a question about case. Of all the top cases I've seen to choose from, they all seem to open on the left side, with the motherboard mounting against the inside of the right panel. My current case sits under the left side of my desk, and because of room/furniture configuration, placing it under the right side or on top of my desk is not possible.

Are there ATX cases available that open on the right side, with the motherboard mounting inside against the inner left panel? It would just make like a lot easier to be able to just pop off the panel from time to time, without having to pull the case out and flip it around every time I needed to open it. And I could see all the flashy lights ;-)

I'm especially interested in either the Antec 900, 902, or 1200, and have read conflicting reports about the panels on these being reversible. Any ideas?
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2009 3:42:48 PM

Arlo said:
have read conflicting reports about the panels on these being reversible. Any ideas?
What difference would reversing the panels make? The internal arrangement wouldn't change.

m
l
October 25, 2009 3:56:51 PM

That is true. Like I said, I'm just starting out at this, so I'm not sure of all the ins-and-outs. I've done some searching, but to no avail - any idea about the availability of ATX cases with the motherboard mounted on the left side?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2009 4:17:24 PM

Arlo said:
That is true. Like I said, I'm just starting out at this, so I'm not sure of all the ins-and-outs. I've done some searching, but to no avail - any idea about the availability of ATX cases with the motherboard mounted on the left side?
An ATX motheboard mounted on the left and a right side removeable panel - use a desktop style case and mount it on its side
The desktop case on its side would probably have the optical drive in an unfavorable position - down low.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2009 3:22:44 PM

Do we have to click on the link to figure out what you're talking about?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2009 3:55:27 PM

Ahhhhhhhh the Silverstone Raven. Good find.
I had forgotten about that case after I read the initial reviews.
It does meet your basic criteria. Just double check the case dimensions against where you want it to operate. Thats one LONG case.

You might have trouble finding anyone who owns one.
Read the customer reviews @ NewEgg and the surf the Raven pages at the Silverstone website to find review sites that have looked it over.
m
l
!