Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is there a way to apply UAC restrictions to an additional folder?

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2011 3:18:11 PM

This may seem like a strange thing to do, but today's SSD article reminded me of my desire to find out if this is possible - I have an unusual requirement that discourages me from even going the "small ssd as boot drive, large hdd for other things" route, unless I can find a way to do this. I do QA work for a distributor of downloadable games, so I like to be able to install the entire catalog (150+ GB), and put them into folders under "C:\Program Files (x86)", so that I'll be able to see whether the UAC will cause problems for them (I install most of my other programs outside Program Files). Thus, to use ssd+hdd, I would need a way to apply the same restrictions to a folder on the hdd (and preferably also have any virtualized files directed to the hdd as well, but that's less critical).
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2011 3:22:31 PM

Er, this might be more of a workaround than you are looking for....

But the Intel Z68 chipset allows you to set an SSD as a cache / boot folder for a larger HDD. This would allow your computer to see the 2 combined as a single volume, which should fit what you need to do with UAC.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2011 3:27:12 PM

You can do all kinds of damage to user access, and impose all kinds of limits with Group Policy. Would I even consider installing a game that has found a way to monkey with GPO on my non-domain member PCs? Hell no, so be careful what you do.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2011 4:11:47 PM

itzdanielp said:
Er, this might be more of a workaround than you are looking for....

But the Intel Z68 chipset allows you to set an SSD as a cache / boot folder for a larger HDD. This would allow your computer to see the 2 combined as a single volume, which should fit what you need to do with UAC.

You mean Smart Response Technology? That would require an upgrade from my H61 mobo, and if I use it for so many different games, the cache wouldn't last long enough to provide a significant speed benefit. I think I could do better by carefully controlling which programs get installed to the ssd.

Onus said:
You can do all kinds of damage to user access, and impose all kinds of limits with Group Policy. Would I even consider installing a game that has found a way to monkey with GPO on my non-domain member PCs? Hell no, so be careful what you do.

Who said anything about the games monkeying with group policy? I'm talking about games that write options and save files into their own folder (which is allowed in XP, but against policy for Vista/7 when the game is installed under Program Files - personally, I disagree with the philosophy of restricting all such writes; only writes to other folders under program files or to executable files need to be restricted) but don't virtualize, and thus have problems or even crash when run from a uac-restricted folder (sometimes the developers don't realize that virtualization is prevented, possibly because they were using XP or only running it from non-restricted folders)
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2011 4:41:23 PM

Yeah, I understand the limits you are looking at there.

What about a little bit larger SSD? You can get a 240GB for around $300 which should easily hold an OS and 150GB of games
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2011 5:07:50 PM

itzdanielp said:
Yeah, I understand the limits you are looking at there.

What about a little bit larger SSD? You can get a 240GB for around $300 which should easily hold an OS and 150GB of games

I'm in no hurry to spend that much money right now, but I'll keep it in mind. 240GB probably would be enough for installing the games to the ssd, as long as I keep most other files/folders on the hdd. It would still be nice to know whether my original idea is even possible.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2011 6:27:53 PM

Yeah.. Wish I could help but it's a little above my level :/ 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 11, 2011 12:39:23 PM

Best answer selected by MauveCloud.
Score
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 11, 2011 3:49:03 PM