Anyone else here unhappy with EVGA step-up program?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else has been dissatisfied with the EVGA step up program? This is the options I have 4 days left to choose from from my GTX 275:

GTX 295 Co Op
GTX 260
GTX 250
9800 GT
9600 GT Low power
9500 GT

I only see one card as a literal step up. Everything else here is a downgrade. EVGA told me the GTX 275 Co Op is too new and I can only choose from the drop down list.

I love EVGA and their products but come on, don't lure me to buy your product with a step up program with select items to choose from when you could have at least 2 more selections to choose from instead of 1 upgrade and 5 downgrades.

Poor marketing in my opinion and it makes me want to order an ATI card. Wait, I did. It's a 5770 from XFX for my media center rig and will be at my doorstep tomorrow from the egg...

Solution
The upgrade program is nice for the (limited) period of time where a new card is expected to be released ion the next quarter; but for whatever reason you need to build *now*.

Other than that - as you have discovered - when there's nothing better in the pipeline to upgrade to, then there's little/no point in the program.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
The step-up program is meant for owners who have older cards. You're trying to step up an already decent card. Cmon now, you're just being greedy. 285's are sold out by most companies and if they have any left, they're probably saving the rest for RMA. Other than the 285 and 295, there is nothing better to upgrade to. The 280 in many cases is worse than the 275 and 285 isn't that much better. A 295 (although the co-op is freaking huge) upgrade is a generous step-up, but that's up to you.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't use the step-up program unless the next generation of cards will be covered during the 90-day. It's too bad cause many believed that nVidia would have new cards out by this time...

D

Deleted member 217926

Im on my 4th EVGA card in a row( 6600,6800,8800GTS now this 9800GTX+) and I love them too.....I have never used the step up and after reading that makes me wonder if I ever will. I cant believe thats all they offered you. I think there is a shortage of higher end cards right now though and that 275 is pretty good.

I agree the 275 is decent but for real, there are plenty of GTX 285 cards out there although I know its not worth stepping up to but in my opinion it should be an option for those that wished they paid another few bucks and got the next best thing. I think its kind of lame to advertise all over your products "step-up program" and give you 1 selection when you have at least 2 other cards in at least 4 other flavors. The GTX 275 Co Op isn't a worthwhile upgrade but if the cost is reasonable (in which I'm sure its not) then it should be an option as well. I think they should put "preselected cards" in small print on the box under the step up logo. And yes, you would've anticipated the 300 series cards to be released as well but even if they were it likely wouldn't be an option. The GTX 275 Co Op is a prime example of this as I spoke to an EVGA rep and he told me the card was too new and not an option, sorry.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gtx+285&x=0&y=0

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&source=hp&q=gtx+285&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6895458141516745121&ei=y3TxStG6EtWX8AaXiI3-CA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CCAQ8wIwBg#ps-sellers

I think theres a shortage of the GTX 275 Co Op. I know EVGA stopped buying the material to produce the GTX 200 series I guess in anticipation of putting their primary funds into Fermi once mass production went underway. So for the last 90+ days this has been going on and it will be 1st quarter next year (hopefully) that Fermi will be released and they have chosen to skimp on the step up program that people like me bought into while this transition takes place.

Bad timing? It appears so...

The upgrade program is nice for the (limited) period of time where a new card is expected to be released ion the next quarter; but for whatever reason you need to build *now*.

Other than that - as you have discovered - when there's nothing better in the pipeline to upgrade to, then there's little/no point in the program.

Solution