Sign in with
Your question

Should it be necessary to overclock a 2700k for WoW?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 21, 2012 8:23:24 PM

Hello everyone,

I recently built a new PC, expecting it to destroy a game as simple as WoW, but am getting very different results. I will list the full specs below, but suffice it to say, my frame rates are quite disappointing. Having everything at stock speeds, I get about 35-45 fps in cities (though I am on Illidan, the highest pop server in the US, so that may be some of the issue) and roughly 20 fps in 25 man raids during high AOE situations, while only going up to 50-60 in a "stress free" raid scenario (vsync off). To be honest, with the components I bought, I was expecting to never go below 60 FPS in WoW period, much less be dropping to under 20 in some cases. I know you may be thinking "those frames are more than playable, just deal with it", but my concern here is not performance in WoW directly, but what the performance indicates as to whether my components are functioning as intended or not. I don't want to have spend a fortune on a PC and have a malfunctioning part that doesn't get replaced simply because the FPS in WoW is "tolerable". I did overclock my 2700k to 4.8m, and that brought me from 40fps in cities to 75 or so, but still, that seems remarkably low for such a high end processor. Are there any programs I could run to benchmark performance or see if everything is working properly? Is it possible I simply have a processor that needs RMAing? Thank you all for your input!

Specs:
Win 7 64 bit HP
2x GTX 570
16GB 1600 RAM
Corsair H100 Cooler
1050W PSU

More about : overclock 2700k wow

February 21, 2012 9:30:03 PM

Something is wrong. Those are frame rates I got 5 years ago on my Gateway dual core with a 9600GT in it and 2gb of ram.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 9:39:30 PM

Run a benchmark like 3dmark11 and compare your scores to similar systems. Try the bench with SLI on and off. You could also try something more system-comprehensive like Sandra.

Yeah those numbers are very low for WoW. I assume you're only on one monitor but what is your resolution?
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2012 9:42:09 PM

I will try to run those benchs and post the results. I am actually using dual monitors, but only displaying WoW on one of them. The monitors are 1920x1080.

Edit: Where would I go to compare my bench results to others?
m
l
February 21, 2012 9:47:21 PM

Something may not be set right. I have faster cards than you (2 GTX 580's in SLI) But I have the same cpu a 2700k OC to 4.3 ghz currently. I've never seen my frames go below the 60fps (vsync on) limit in any situation in wow and I play at 2560x1400 with everything maxed. I actually didn't see any difference at all (still was maxed at 60 fps) between stock clocks and @ 4.3 ghz OC. I don't think I've ever seen my CPU go over 40% in wow except for the occasional 60 ish% spikes for a brief moment.
m
l
February 21, 2012 9:48:47 PM

catatafish said:
Something is wrong. Those are frame rates I got 5 years ago on my Gateway dual core with a 9600GT in it and 2gb of ram.

Wow today is not the same as it was 5 yrs ago. It is significantly more demanding at max settings today than it was at max 5 yrs ago.
m
l
February 21, 2012 9:52:14 PM

Ph0enix33 said:
I will try to run those benchs and post the results. I am actually using dual monitors, but only displaying WoW on one of them. The monitors are 1920x1080.

Edit: Where would I go to compare my bench results to others?

Try disabling your second monitor temporarily and see if it makes any difference. I used to occasionally have issues in wow on my old system when I ran dual monitors. Sometimes it would affect my frame rates, especially if I had a browser or vent open on the other screen.

Also try disabling all of your mods and see if the issue goes away. Some mods are not coded very well and can be huge drains on your system, especially in 25m raids. If it goes away start re-enabling them one at a time and see if you can track down which one is killing you.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 9:55:15 PM

you seem to be CPU limited since the overclock works. obviously you shouldn't be. what are you running on the second monitor while playing or in the background. throw task monitor/resource monitor up on the second monitor so you can monitor in game
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 9:55:58 PM

Ph0enix33 said:
Where would I go to compare my bench results to others?

Well, 3dmark11 has a little built-in thing that comes up at the end of the bench that will tell you the "target score" for your hardware. Look for the link to "detailed scores" (or something like that).

I haven't used it since like '04 but Sandra used to have a similar comparison that was built-in.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 9:58:43 PM

Energy96 said:
Also try disabling all of your mods and see if the issue goes away. Some mods are not coded very well and can be huge drains on your system, especially in 25m raids. If it goes away start re-enabling them one at a time and see if you can track down which one is killing you.

^^^^^this! The only time I've had frame issues in wow with high-end hardware was with old versions of mods. Try running with the vanilla UI. But still run the benches to see if your problem is beyond just WoW.
m
l
February 21, 2012 9:59:06 PM

you have anything odd enabled like transparency or something?
m
l
February 21, 2012 10:05:34 PM

I run WoW on an i5 2500K and a single GTX 560 Ti on maxed settings. On the busiest day in ORG/SW I get 60 FPS. In 25man Raids it goes down to about 50 FPS when things get 'hairy'.

Something is wrong with your rig.
m
l
February 21, 2012 11:24:24 PM

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2812732

That is a link to my 3DMark11 results. I don't see "target score" anywhere, but I do see that it rates my score as lower than expected, which I am not surprised by. I am not too sure how to read these results, but if anyone has a better grasp of how to, and can see where my problem is, please let me know! That benchmark is run with only 1 monitor plugged in, and a single 570. Normally, I have a browser open and perhaps GPUz or CPUz running on the second screen, so nothing that should impact performance in the slightest. Thank you all so far for the responses! Hopefully we can figure something out.

Edit: I have also downloaded and run Sandra, but am not to sure how to publish the results. I can export them to an XML, so I may just have to link that file.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 11:45:31 PM

It's under "tips for improving your score" sorry bout that. I extracted them for ya:

Overall Score P6039 - Target P6000

Graphics Score P5592 - Target P5600

Physics Score P10568 - Target: P9000

Combined Score P5797 - Target: P5800

Ok so those scores are approximately consistent with a single 570gtx. Where are your scores with 570s in SLI? It also sees your onboard video, if you don't use it, I would disable it in BIOS to see if that helps. Are you connecting the 2nd monitor to the 570 or to the onboard?

EDIT: And have you tried turning off any mods in WoW and seeing if you still have the problem?
m
l
February 21, 2012 11:51:00 PM

I do not use the onboard video, so I will go in and disable it. My second monitor is connected to my first card but, as mentioned above, was not even plugged in for this test. If the scores are about on par for what is expected, I have 2 concerns:
1) Why is it saying my score is "low" for my setup?
2) Why am I only getting 40ish fps in WoW unless I am in an utterly unpopulated area in the middle of nowhere?

Benchmark scores aside, my actual performance in game is consistent with its analysis of "low".
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2012 11:59:12 PM

Ph0enix33 said:

1) Why is it saying my score is "low" for my setup?
2) Why am I only getting 40ish fps in WoW unless I am in an utterly unpopulated area in the middle of nowhere?

1) Because anytime a score is even a lousy 8 marks lower than target they like to make you click their "PC Health Check" thing from F-secure or whatever. It's probably a revenue source for them.

2) Mods. Try disabling your mods. I have had mods make my fps terrible. Once I found the buggy or outdated culprit, everything was back to super-smooth. If you don't use any mods with WoW then try the repair program telling it to reset everything to default and delete the cache.
m
l
February 22, 2012 12:16:32 AM

Deleted everything of my personalized UI including Cache WTF and Interface folders. No latency or FPS difference. So, I guess we are back to either my CPU or graphics card is defective or otherwise not pulling its weight : (
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 12:30:01 AM

Hmmm. Are you running with everything maxed-out in WoW and the nvidia control panel? Maybe you're maxing out your vram in those busy areas with all those different textures on different players. It seems unlikely with WoW but I dunno.

Your computer isn't really showing the symptoms of a defective CPU or GPU. A faulty GPU or CPU should show its defectiveness in other intensive applications. It would be very exceptional to have a CPU or GPU that only displayed problems with WoW. That's what the benches and other games will help to clear up. Speaking of which, what about other games? I saw you were getting problems with SW:TOR (but that is probably the lack of SLI support). Any other games that exhibit this behavior? You should make sure it is a consistent problem across multiple applications before assuming the CPU or GPU is bad.
m
l
February 22, 2012 12:34:19 AM

I have everything maxed in wow except "Shadows" which are on fair, since many people complain of problems with it. I am not sure what would need changing in the Nvidia control panel though. I is definitely not a VRAM issue, as I bought the 2.5GB version of the cards. My frames are not great in ToR either, which is really the only other game I play. I would be happy to run other benches to help rule out a faulty CPU/GPU if you have any to suggest, but sadly I don't have many games to get real testing in.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 12:53:56 AM

I'm starting to grasp at the proverbial straws. Do you run any programs in the background that are using CPU resources (like seti@home)? Are you watching the temp of your card/cards? What is particularly odd in your situation is how well WoW responded to your overclock. While WoW is a cpu-intensive game (especially with a zillion players running around) it should be perfectly fine with a 2700k at stock speeds and certainly not need an OC to get playable frames.

Wish I could be more help. For another bench you can try Passmark: http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm
m
l
February 22, 2012 1:05:22 AM

I run nothing in the background except for Mumble (VOIP) and Firefox occasionally. I run task manager and my CPU usage is almost always sub 20%, occasionally jumping to 40 or so. My temps are roughly 60 for GPU while gaming, and 50 for CPU, with my GPU idling at 35-40 and CPU at the same. I will get Passmark run and post the results!
m
l
February 22, 2012 1:23:35 AM

Total score in Passmark was 4388.3. Again, since I don't know how to upload the full result, I will just type in the scores here:
CPU Mark - 12537.7
2D Graphics - 645.3
3D Graphics - 3929
Memory Mark - 5012.2
Disk Mark - 3865.8
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 1:39:58 AM

Those scores look great though I wasn't sure what to compare the memory mark to. Obviously you are showing an SSD and an OCed CPU based on those scores. The graphics score is great for a single 570. That isn't in SLI right?

Those are consistent with your hardware. But that still doesn't get WoW working like it should. Again grasping at straws - graphics drivers? I assume you've tried completely removing them and then reinstalling the latest?

Edit: And make sure you run WoW in DX11 mode.
m
l
February 22, 2012 2:47:43 AM

I have removed and reinstalled drivers, and am running WoW in DX11. My SSD results seemed a little low, showing 470 read and 170ish write, where my SSD (Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 120GB) advertises 560 Read and 520 Write. This shouldn't have any impact on WoW thought. The results are with a single 570 on a single monitor.
m
l
February 22, 2012 3:57:01 PM

Thanks for the help all, but unfortunately I think I am going to have to simply send everything back. I would have loved to have gotten this all functioning, but I am nearing the end of my return period, and don't want to be stuck with something so lackluster. Either something is not working right, and I can't seem to figure out which that is, or everything is functioning properly and I severely overestimated the capabilities of today's hardware. Either way, the performance I am getting is simply not enough better than my 4 year old computer to warrant the $3000 I have spent on this setup. If anyone has any last minute ideas, I am all ears, but I fear this simply is no solution.
m
l
February 22, 2012 4:19:31 PM

have you done a clean install of WoW? checked WoW forums for others having a similar problem with that game?
m
l
February 22, 2012 4:28:14 PM

I have, but sadly all most posts get are the mindless "are your drivers up to date hurpdurpduhduhduh" type nonsense. I have researched it, but it seems like the only responses people get on the WoW forums are from people whose knowledge ends after they suggest updating drivers and being sure addons aren't causing the problem. I have done all the simple things, so the answer, if there is one, is something more complex than the everyday reinstalling of something.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 4:31:47 PM

those scores looks like its only reading one 570. if you have another sli bridge try that. I had the same problem with my 580's playing SC2 one weekend and switched out the sli bridge and everything was fine.

Here is a list of gtx 570's single and dual from another site i found

Single GPU's
P7575 - Mjcro - i7 2600K @ 5ghz / GTX 570 @ 975/1950/2430
p6718 - MercuryDoun - i7 930 @ 4.4ghz / GTX 570 @ 970/1940/2420
P6471 - Greengiant912 - i7 2600K 3.4ghz / GTX 570 @ ?
P6185 - Pezcore- i52500k @ 4.01Ghz / GTX570 @ 850/1700/2100
P5263 - ddkshah - PII @ 3.4ghz / GTX 570 @ 900/1800/2400
P4737 - RX7Rage - i7 970 @ 3.84ghz / GTX 570 @ 950/1900/1236
P4634 - Guest_Jim_* - PII 720 unlocked @ 3.4ghz / GTX 570 @ 797/1594/1950

Multiple GPU's
P15063 - Praz - i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz / 3x GTX 570 @ 890/1780/2000
P11834 - El_Capitan - i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz / 2x GTX 570 @ 950/1900/2260
P8954 - bishop245 - i7 2600k @ stock / 2x GTX 570 @ stock
m
l
February 23, 2012 4:25:33 AM

I have had something strange happen in the midst of running some more tests. When I tried to revert my processor back to stock settings (voltage and clock speed) it seems to not want to drop back down to stock voltage. I reset everything in my BIOS, but when running CPU-Z, it shows me having a vcore of 1.26 or so. While I did not check what it said before I overclocked it, to my understanding, it has a stock vcore of 1.056 (this could be wrong). If that is the case, why would it default back to ~.2v higher than it should be running at stock speed? I did try to switch voltage from auto offset (which is the default in my bios) to manual and enter 1.056, but it was not stable at all, and crashed mere minutes after start up. What could be causing this, or am I simply misinformed about the 2700ks stock voltage?
m
l
February 23, 2012 5:45:17 AM

WoW hates SLI / xfire. Before sending it all back take one card out comppletely, reinstall windows wow and the latest drivers with only 1 card. I gauarantee WoW will run 50-60 min in any situation and likely higher.

I rune a 2600k with a 5770 and get 50 min in citys raids, and well over 120 flying aound on epic flyer with settings on max.

The sli setup is your biggest issue and probably driver related. Get it working right on one card then go sli if you can.
m
l
February 23, 2012 6:39:56 AM

I have been using one card for testing and benchmarking. The latest test I ran was doing multiple LFRs to get several tests on Ultraxion for comparison. Throughout each test, I was dropping to 40fps average during the fight with a minimum in the high 20's/low 30's. If you can recall off the top of your head, or have time to jump in an LFR for a second to see FPS, what kind of results do you get? I seem to be bound to 40-50 fps on most every fight. The frames skyrocket when not in combat of course, but that is hardly when frame rate matters.

Here are my 3dmark 11 and vantage results, resetting my processor back to stock settings
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2821972
http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3914288
m
l
February 23, 2012 3:26:00 PM

From the benchmarks listed, is it possible to determine where my bottleneck is? It seems like both my CPU and GPU are underperforming according the the vantage results.
m
l
February 23, 2012 8:46:41 PM

Ph0enix33 said:
I have had something strange happen in the midst of running some more tests. When I tried to revert my processor back to stock settings (voltage and clock speed) it seems to not want to drop back down to stock voltage. I reset everything in my BIOS, but when running CPU-Z, it shows me having a vcore of 1.26 or so. While I did not check what it said before I overclocked it, to my understanding, it has a stock vcore of 1.056 (this could be wrong). If that is the case, why would it default back to ~.2v higher than it should be running at stock speed? I did try to switch voltage from auto offset (which is the default in my bios) to manual and enter 1.056, but it was not stable at all, and crashed mere minutes after start up. What could be causing this, or am I simply misinformed about the 2700ks stock voltage?

Stock voltage on a 2600k is between 1.24v and 1.26v. It varies in there from chip to chip. 1.056 is extremely low and I am surprised it even posted.
m
l
February 23, 2012 9:45:36 PM

I emailed Intel about it, and 1.056 seems to be stock for my processor, the 2700k (not the 2600k), but I did figure out why it seemed to have a jump in voltage, as I had enabled the XMP in bios which shot the number up. I ran the benchmarks again and am still lower than where I should be according the the target scores.
m
l
February 23, 2012 10:06:56 PM

lol, sorry, I totally mixed up, I thought you had a 2600k for some reason.
m
l
February 24, 2012 4:28:21 PM

No worries. So, how concerned should I be that my 3dMarkVantage scores are significantly lower than what it says they should be. I have heard very conflicting reports, some saying the target results are irrelevant, others saying that if you are below the target results, something is definitely wrong. Would just like to get an informed opinion on the matter.
Thanks
m
l
February 24, 2012 8:46:03 PM

Something that has popped up that I forgot to mention is the "Windows Color Scheme" prompt. More or less every time I boot up my computer and start to play WoW, when I tab out or exit to the desktop, I occasionally see the prompt that says I may need to change my color scheme in windows to help performance. Obviously, with my specs this shouldn't be necessary. Does this indicate something is not performing as it should? May be what is holding WoW back if so.
m
l
February 26, 2012 1:20:33 PM

Ph0enix33 said:
No worries. So, how concerned should I be that my 3dMarkVantage scores are significantly lower than what it says they should be. I have heard very conflicting reports, some saying the target results are irrelevant, others saying that if you are below the target results, something is definitely wrong. Would just like to get an informed opinion on the matter.
Thanks

Your scores really aren't that bad. Certainly not in the range of "something must be broken". Most people cheat on these tests to get the highest scores possible using every tweak or trick in the book to up the score a few hundred points or more. If you haven't done any tweaks or tricks at all you will always be lower than the "average".
m
l
February 26, 2012 1:24:54 PM

Ph0enix33 said:
Something that has popped up that I forgot to mention is the "Windows Color Scheme" prompt. More or less every time I boot up my computer and start to play WoW, when I tab out or exit to the desktop, I occasionally see the prompt that says I may need to change my color scheme in windows to help performance. Obviously, with my specs this shouldn't be necessary. Does this indicate something is not performing as it should? May be what is holding WoW back if so.

I get that once in a while when tabbing out of games also. It's usually just due to a shortage of vram for windows when you tab out of a game and the game was using all of it. It is not a problem at all as it is just for a split second before some is cleared for use. I finally just clicked the "don't warn me about this again" box, then it wont bother you anymore.
m
l
March 1, 2012 2:40:03 AM

I dont think VRAM is the issue for me since I play at 1920x1080 and have a 2.5GB 570. It hasn't happened in the last day or so, so I suppose that is a good sign. Still trying to work with my hardware to see if I can get closer to the expected results. I ran the Crysis Benchmark Tool (original Crysis patched to 1.21) and got an average of 46 fps using the GPU benchmark, and 48 with the CPU benchmark. Since the numbers are similar, I don't think it indicates one is severely bottlenecking the other, but the overall number still seem quite low. (Settings on the benchmark tool all default (very high), 1920x1080, no AA) Are there any better tests I could run to get conclusive proof once and for all how far below average my system is performing?
m
l
!