How useful is PhysX?

r_manic

Administrator
Why would I get a card that features PhysX, especially a card that actually costs $350 because it has a dedicated GTS 250 GPU just to handle PhysX? (Main GPU is a GTX 275). In the first place, is this really a must-have application for gaming? I don't think so.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/03/evga.first.to.combine.graphics.physics.gpus/

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
PhysX is used by very few games, and even on those its not perfect as it have sometime huge impact on performance to get little more visuals. Also its limited to nvidia cards only and asfar as i know this is not going to change soon, at least not until 2 or more new generations of graphic cards arrive.

Havoc as it have same limited use but run on any CPU and eventually if physics get more used in games i bet it get GPU support in time.

Best thing now is probably skip all physics stuff at all and go for 5870 which is just only little more expensive, but beat GTX 275 badly.

But more and more (Dragon Age uses it?) use at least some form of it. Remember, theres the enhanced GPU PhysX libarary for advanced effects, but also the more standard (and more used) CPU based variety.

Odds are a split Physics API, with ATI supporting one standard and NVIDIA supporting another.

As a long time Nvidia user I personally don't care for the current implementation and don't go out of my way to promote or recommend it and as such I'm not really fussed about that card, however by switching off access to PhysX for ATi users Nvidia are getting free publicity by way of the backlash from said ATi users, some of whom up until now had been downplaying the importance of Physx. Whether or not this will help or hinder the sales of this card remain to be seen but I'm finding it all rather amusing really. :)