How to make anti static wrist strap

Status
Not open for further replies.
its just a conductive path from you to the ground, so if you were to wrap a bare wire around your wrist and either connect it to the case(sufficient capacity to serve as a ground, or truly grounded once the PSU is installed) or inserted it into the ground of an outlet you would have yourself an anti static wrist strap. I know some people who swear by them but most people i know dont use them, just touch the case periodically and you will discharge your static often enough to not have it be a problem.

rsmith13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I don't think using a wrist strap is a good idea. If you touch a high voltage source, with a grounded wrist strap on, then you become part of the path to ground. Ie: Fry City. Just make sure that you touch the pc case before you install/remove components.

esuckq

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Are you serious?

1) Don't touch high voltage sources.
2) If you do, the electricity will prefer to travel through the strap, rather than through you. So the strap will fry and you'll be less likely to.

Of course wrapping wire round your wrists and stuffing the other end into a wall socket could be dangerous...

True. Of course, 120/240 vac is professionally not considered high voltage. High voltage is like kilovolts. The highest voltage I work with is 38 Kv. in a radar transmitter.

Not true. An antistatic strap is not a regular piece of wire. It's a piece of something with a very high resistance. Your body would represent a much lower path to ground.

esuckq

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Fair enough... Wikipedia agrees with you so I guess I stand corrected!

Still, I assume I am right in saying it wouldn't increase your risk of frying if you chose to stick your fingers in a plug?

ecia

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

this thread might be inactive, but I just want to tell you or the other readers that IT IS DANGEROUS!!

putting wires at your hands and touching high voltage will just burn your hand, at least it won't burn your heart as current will run through your hand only, and not from hand through your heart then goes to toes..

jsc is right! an anti-static wrist band has a resistant (at least 1 kilo ohm) and a copper wire has "almost" no resistant; which will be just the same with you electrocute yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.