Your question

I received Kingston SSDNowVseries-S2128gb last christmas

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Computer
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 11, 2011 7:28:28 PM

I received the ssd as a gift last christmas. It's has a 3 year warranty. Never even opened it. I am still waiting to use it but now am reading crap reviews for it. Need to upgrade computer part by part or build a new computer. Old gigs 775 board, 2gb ram, 500gb hdd, nividia card, old dual core intel cpu, case falling apart. Well every thing is old. I've already brought 16gb 1600 rams, 2 samsung 1tbs f3 hdds for when I can build new computer and then I got this supposenly crap ssd. I'm almost out of spending money so am wondering could I use these parts now? I would like to start doing alittle video editing but with this computer as is now, it's almost impossible let alone multitasking and a little gaming.

More about : received kingston ssdnowvseries s2128gb christmas

September 11, 2011 8:34:29 PM

16gb 1600 rams thats 1600MHz or ddr3 ram
1tbs just 1tb
I got this supposenly crap ssd... i wouldnt be to worried about it... if it gives out on you its always under warranty
gigs 775 board... do you mean gigabyte... that is a company
but... if its as old as you make it seem... your better off doing a full on upgrade

you already have ram
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A88M/
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-rad...

and as far as the case goes, you may have to get a new one if your case if for atx(im going according to what i put above) so just be sure about that
m
l
September 11, 2011 9:10:16 PM

You may also be able to exchange a new in the box SSD with Kingston if you have concerns about the SSD. I'd e-mail them to see.
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2011 9:21:12 PM

Sorry about that.
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL
2-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
SSD-Kingston ssdnow-s2 128GB
775 Gigabytes MB
Just wondering, why suggest Asus/Amd3+
m
l
September 11, 2011 9:52:28 PM

i have that board :D  and 1... its probaly the most overclockable board ive ever seen... but i havent seen much
2.its the am3+socket... and its under 220$
3. it has support for up to 6 SATA (6gb bandwith) drives
4. support for 16gb ddr3 ram, overclockable to 2000MHz
m
l
a b G Storage
September 12, 2011 12:05:46 AM

irishred said:
but now am reading crap reviews for it

What specifically is concerning you about the drive? I'm guessing it might be a speed issue. I think the speed comparisons between different SSD's are misleading. I've read that there are differences when running from an SSD vs. a spinning drive, but this amounts to a computer booting and loading apps maybe twice as fast with the SSD vs. the spinning drive. When you consider how much faster the SSD is, and that it only speeds up booting and loading apps by a certain amount, you understand that the speed differences between different SSD's really don't mean much.

Of course if you really don't want to use the SSD and you want to use a different one, you could sell the SSD that you have on ebay and buy a new one of your choosing.

I'm all in favor of researching reviews, but I put more weight in the functionality and reliability of a product vs. its absolute speed. I've noticed that OCZ products repeatedly get good reviews for speed but they get the worst reviews for reliability. I don't really care what the theoretical speed is if the product doesn't work.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 12, 2011 12:19:52 AM

it may be a budget ssd but compared to a traditional hard drive it will be much faster--if you dont want it cos its crap i could do with an early xmas present :D 
m
l
September 12, 2011 1:41:15 AM

i think ssd's got a little too much credit... correct me if im wrong
for example i have 6 SATA drives with a 6gb/s bandwith... a traditonal SATA hardrive (with a proper cord) will reach approx 6gb/s... therefore i wouldnt gain anything from spending the extra few hundred on a ssd
m
l
!