I HATE INTELS NAMING SCHEMES.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
i3, i5, i7...

friggin 1 quad core, 1 quad core + HT, 1 dual core, 2 different sockets yet they can only come up with i3, i5, and i7?!?!??!

STUPID INTEL. I hate having to keep up with numbers and HT and socket types. They really should have completely renamed name with different sockets - not combined them and changed the numbers. Confusing as all hell... I hope they lose some business due to this dumbass marketing strategy.

Bloodblender

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Even though I understood all of Intel's naming strategies just by viewing a single, say, Wiki page on its processor brands, I have to admit, that's just too many brands, sockets and technologies.

I thought it was a lot better with the new CPUs, just Core i3, i5 and i7 but when I read that they would be adding a Pentium G9650 and keeping the Celeron line...><

It's extremely hard explaining all this to my friends and family.

Their chip names are really cool though. I like the names Clarkdale, Wolfdale, Lynnfield, Gulftown and the rest. Whereas AMD names become a bit weird, favourite one would be Bobcat!

Its just that Intel has its hands dipped in too many bowls, that's why they have all those confusing sockets numbers and the works. i3, i5 and i7 were not enough. They have LGA1156, LGA1366. They could have gotten all into one socket and be done with it. Would have made upgrade and downgrade easier.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
in short, when naming schemes are used to hide a processor's true capability, then it has to be confusing hoping the consumber won't notice and just buy.

if it was clear as C3Q (core 3 quad) or C3DH (core 3 quad hyperthreaded) then people will realize that the majority of the mainstream intel stuff is all dual core with ht while amd offers true quad cores for the price.

right now, you can have the buyer say, ha i got i7 and they are the best in the world when they are i7-1156s and can't do the beast tri/quad sli/xfire configuration properly

or say I have an i5 and still have a dual core box when others have quad core boxes.

notty22

Distinguished

Another + 1
It defines performance level pretty well.
If you like cars and engines you probably know many more variables- cylinder head, CI, valve sizes, compression ratios etc.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
das_keyboard_2.jpg

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002

The naming scheme was intended to simplify things for the masses. It's supposedly related to performance, i.e. 7 > 5 > 3

It was never intended to convey the technical details about the chip. Intel has a processor spec finder (Processor Spec Finder) for that.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

You sir are mentally ill.

The only reason AMD's QC's are that cheap is because they have the performance to match the price point.

Um who in their damn mind needs tri/quad SLI/CF? it only takes a ATI HD5970 to play Crysis maxed at 2560x1600 and thats just 2 GPUs. Hell no one even plays at that res that often. In fact most people play arounf 1680x1050/1600x900 area and even a large chunk still play at 1280x1024.

TBH if you get a i7 LGA 1366 for only gaming you deserve to be whacked in the back of the head. For high res gaming its great but the CPUs true potential is outside of gaming where it eats baby AMD CPUs ALIVE!!!!!

Bloodblender

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Actually, most of the time if people present me with specific models, I just give them a straight answer of what's better, regardless of core count and the users' tasks.

Because I know they just won't understand when I explain it to them.

mi1ez

Splendid

How can there be a "better" CPU without taking the user's tasks into account?