Sign in with
Your question

OC i7-960 with stock cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
February 22, 2012 2:54:05 AM

No real questions for this thread, just wanted to get my attempts out to you guys and see if you have any suggestions.

Or you can just follow my progress if you like :) 

Currently I am at the very beginning stages of overclocking my new system and for now (yes just for now) seeing what I can do with stock air cooling on all components.

I got a stable bclk of 195 this evening and as I write this working on a bclk of 200..

One quick question for anyone that knows......Anyone have an idea of where the safe limits for my vcore and QPI/Vtt voltages are for the i7-960?

More about : 960 stock cooling

a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 3:48:57 AM

The "safe limits" vary not only by batch but also by how good your heatsink is.

My advice is to keep the voltage as is, and overclock to 3.8GHz which is stable for pretty much everybody with this CPU.

Fan noise (due to heat) goes up quickly as you overclock, and instability issues become much more frequent above 3.8GHz.

It's unlikely you'd require more than 3.8GHz even with a 2xGTX560Ti setup.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 3:52:43 AM

RAM and overclocking:
Most instabilities in overclocking are actually due to the RAM.

If you overclock the CPU, make sure you aren't overclocking the RAM too. You need to play around with the multipliers so that your RAM ends up the same frequency (i.e. 1600MHz).

Simply increasing the BCLOCK overclocks the CPU and RAM equally. You don't want that.

Once done, run Memtest (memtest.org). I recommend the USB or CD. You must have whatever you use PRIOR to the hard drive in the boot order (BIOS).
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2012 3:55:43 AM

I agree that I wont "need" more than 3.8 but what I am doing here really has nothing to do with need :) 

I now have my bclk at 200 and running Prime95 for 10+min with no issues.

I will be running memtest+ over night just to double check my memory is still stable and then some more cpu stressing 2mrw night when I am home from work
m
l
February 22, 2012 3:58:15 AM

photonboy said:
RAM and overclocking:
Most instabilities in overclocking are actually due to the RAM.

If you overclock the CPU, make sure you aren't overclocking the RAM too. You need to play around with the multipliers so that your RAM ends up the same frequency (i.e. 1600MHz).

Simply increasing the BCLOCK overclocks the CPU and RAM equally. You don't want that.

Once done, run Memtest (memtest.org). I recommend the USB or CD. You must have whatever you use PRIOR to the hard drive in the boot order (BIOS).

As far as the memory goes...I have the multiplier on my memory turned way down as well as to keep it safe from my experimental bclk boosting. Its running at a much lower frequency than intended so I should be good right?

Or am i missing something else concerning the RAM
m
l
!