Sign in with
Your question

Will upgrade increase performance noticably

Last response: in Memory
April 20, 2010 8:58:48 PM

My specs are down in my signiture. At the moment I have 3.5 gig DDR2 of random ram, thats 3 x 1gb modules of random mismatched Ram, not sure of the speed, but they were really cheap, and 1 x 512mb of Ram. My question is, if I speant about £70 on this Ram how much of a diffence in gaming and other computer tasks would i see?

Product description Corsair XMS2 memory - 4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB ) - DIMM 240-pin - DDR2
Storage capacity 4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB )
Upgrade type Generic
Technology DDR2 SDRAM
Form factor DIMM 240-pin
Memory speed 800 MHz ( PC2-6400 )
Data integrity check Non-ECC
Latency timings CL5 ( 5-5-5-18 )
Features Unbuffered
Supply voltage 1.9 V

Thanks
a b } Memory
April 20, 2010 9:42:12 PM

Ok I would like to extend a cheaper alternitive buy a single 1 gig stick to replace the 512 giving you 4 gigs and allowing the dual channel to work b/c all ram sticks are the same size. As for performance unless you are overclocking and need the 1 to 1 or some such your average user will not notice a big diff between 667 ddr2 and say 1600 ddr3... Also if you are not using a 64 bit operating system you are not going to be able to use more than 3.2 to 3.6 gigs of the ram you install anyway...

PS I know some of the puter junkies might disagree on the mem speed thing but as this is a hodge poge of ram any way guessing it will not effect much since he would have 667 or 800 already the jump from 667 to 800 just won't matter or be noticable at all.

T
April 21, 2010 7:31:53 AM

thently said:
Ok I would like to extend a cheaper alternitive buy a single 1 gig stick to replace the 512 giving you 4 gigs and allowing the dual channel to work b/c all ram sticks are the same size. As for performance unless you are overclocking and need the 1 to 1 or some such your average user will not notice a big diff between 667 ddr2 and say 1600 ddr3... Also if you are not using a 64 bit operating system you are not going to be able to use more than 3.2 to 3.6 gigs of the ram you install anyway...

PS I know some of the puter junkies might disagree on the mem speed thing but as this is a hodge poge of ram any way guessing it will not effect much since he would have 667 or 800 already the jump from 667 to 800 just won't matter or be noticable at all.

T

Thanks for the reply, yes I am running 64 bit windows 7 ultimate. So would I need to get a 800mhz stick of 1gig DDR2 Ram or just an average cheap one?

Thanks again man
Related resources
April 21, 2010 9:58:58 AM

adam_x_brookes said:
Thanks for the reply, yes I am running 64 bit windows 7 ultimate. So would I need to get a 800mhz stick of 1gig DDR2 Ram or just an average cheap one?

Thanks again man

If you could get the 800MHz with only a small price difference, then go for that one.

Though, for your typical user (i.e. Internet browsing, office documents, games), 3GB->4GB would have an extremely minimal to no difference at all.

Now if you're doing photoshop with several 10MP+ files open, doing heavy video editing, or other insanely memory intensive apps, it is only then that it would matter.

Your money might be better spent on a better vid card or processor.
a b } Memory
April 21, 2010 12:41:12 PM

You won't notice any difference.
a b } Memory
April 21, 2010 3:12:12 PM

I agree with them dont pay more than 20 to 30 bucks US for a 1 gig stick cheap as you can get you won't notice the diff.

T
April 21, 2010 3:25:26 PM

I agree as well. You really won't notice the difference and you can easily pick up a 1gig stick for around $20 - $30. I would check out TigerDirect.com as they tend to have some cheap deals on 1 gig sticks. :) 
!