Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Why do I keep getting "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND..."?

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 25, 2009 7:24:02 PM

I powered up my homebuilt desktop PC for the first time today. When I did, the BIOS came up and it said:

"Verifying DMI Pool Data..."

After that, the BIOS said:

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Why does this keep coming up? I tried putting the BIOS disc that came with the mobo into the dvd drive and pressing enter. However, that did not solve the problem. That message just keeps coming up. What should I do to fix it?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2009 7:30:52 PM

You board is merely looking for an OS to boot too, and you apparently have not installed anything yet. Duh.
m
0
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2009 7:37:24 PM

1. Go into the BIOS and make sure the optical drive is the first boot device.
2. Place your operating system disk into that drive, and reboot.

Your "BIOS disc" is not a bootable disk. It's just a bunch of drivers.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 25, 2009 10:27:55 PM

jitpublisher said:
You board is merely looking for an OS to boot too, and you apparently have not installed anything yet. Duh.
\

I inserted a hard drive that already had the OS installed on it. You don't have to be a dick when responding.

Proximon said:
1. Go into the BIOS and make sure the optical drive is the first boot device.
2. Place your operating system disk into that drive, and reboot.

Your "BIOS disc" is not a bootable disk. It's just a bunch of drivers.


But I already had a hard drive with Windows XP already installed on it. Why didn't the mobo just recognize that and use that to boot up? I am positive that the hard drive was connected properly.
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 10:30:43 PM

Proximon said:
1. Go into the BIOS and make sure the optical drive is the first boot device.
2. Place your operating system disk into that drive, and reboot.

Your "BIOS disc" is not a bootable disk. It's just a bunch of drivers.


BTW, what button do I have to push to get the optical drive to be the first boot device? As soon as I start up my desktop, that message keeps popping up about the error. It doesn't let me do anything else.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2009 10:35:02 PM

It should have recognized it, however using an OS installed on a different motherboard generally does not work.
When Windows is installed, it configures itself for the specific motherboard. This is a low level configuration called the HAL, or Hardware Abstraction Layer. When you try to use a HAL not specifically configured for your motherboard, you can encounter a range of problems, usually serious sometimes only moderate.

I have never encountered a complete failure to recognize, but it's possible if the old board was doing something special with the drive.

Is the drive recognized in the BIOS?
Share
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2009 10:37:14 PM

You need to access your BIOS. This is normally done by pressing the del key during boot up, or sometimes an Fkey such as F2.
m
0
l
October 25, 2009 11:03:32 PM

Proximon said:
It should have recognized it, however using an OS installed on a different motherboard generally does not work.
When Windows is installed, it configures itself for the specific motherboard. This is a low level configuration called the HAL, or Hardware Abstraction Layer. When you try to use a HAL not specifically configured for your motherboard, you can encounter a range of problems, usually serious sometimes only moderate.

I have never encountered a complete failure to recognize, but it's possible if the old board was doing something special with the drive.

Is the drive recognized in the BIOS?


It is a pretty old mobo. The mobo that the OS was installed on was a Gateway motherboard back from 2002 (it's the Intel D850MV). Could that be the reason why the OS is not recognized at all?

Proximon said:
You need to access your BIOS. This is normally done by pressing the del key during boot up, or sometimes an Fkey such as F2.


I'll try that and see what happens.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2009 11:40:14 PM

This should be a very simple problem, but as the answers start coming in, we find out that the OP has done much, much more than the first simple question would suggest.
You do have to set the boot order in the BIOS, DVD/CD first, Hard Drive Second is the most usual configuration.
Although this should not normally cause the drive to become completely unbootable, you cannot simply drop a drive in with the OS already installed. Especially a drive from a Gateway. It should at least find the boot sector of the drive and try to load Windows. However, it is very unlikely you will be able to get the OS up and running correctly. You should start over and do a fresh install.

And yes, I will be quite cynical when I see someone making mistakes, then asking for help, but not telling the full story because they KNOW they are not doing things "according to Hoyle".
m
0
l
October 26, 2009 10:58:53 PM

jitpublisher said:
This should be a very simple problem, but as the answers start coming in, we find out that the OP has done much, much more than the first simple question would suggest.
You do have to set the boot order in the BIOS, DVD/CD first, Hard Drive Second is the most usual configuration.
Although this should not normally cause the drive to become completely unbootable, you cannot simply drop a drive in with the OS already installed. Especially a drive from a Gateway. It should at least find the boot sector of the drive and try to load Windows. However, it is very unlikely you will be able to get the OS up and running correctly. You should start over and do a fresh install.

And yes, I will be quite cynical when I see someone making mistakes, then asking for help, but not telling the full story because they KNOW they are not doing things "according to Hoyle".


Ok, I'll try that as soon as I have a free moment.

When I started this thread, I said right off the bat that this was my first build. I never claimed to be an experienced computer builder. That's the reason why I am making mistakes. I asked for help because I thought this would be a really simple problem with one possible cause. That's why I didn't bother writing too much at first. After delving into it a little more, I found out that there are multiple things that could be causing this problem. I DID NOT KNOW that I was not following things "according to Hoyle". This is the first time that I ever tried to build a desktop and it has been a learning experience for me. Everyone has to start somewhere and this is where I am starting.

You don't have to make the process more unpleasant by posting rude comments.
m
0
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
October 27, 2009 5:52:55 AM

Yes, tempers can get short around here sometimes :) 

That's why I write things out once and then post the link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264823-31-progess-tro...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257075-31-guide-choos...

And why others do the same.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

But then of course you have to get people to read them.

That first link can save you some hassle next time ;)  Following that format will pretty much guarantee a lot of positive attention.... Although in truth 80% of the people that start it never finish because they figure it out while writing the post.

m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 27, 2009 3:27:56 PM

I've got a question. Why is it that nearly every BIOS I've ever seen is stupid? Everytime, the default settings for the boot order is something like, hard drive first then CD drive. Nobody uses it that way, and everyone has to fix it everytime they get a new mobo, or resets the CMOS. Is there a reason they make the default like that?
m
0
l
October 27, 2009 3:38:27 PM

I keep trying to get the operating system to boot up. I already have the OS disk in the CD drive, but it's not recognized. It just says:

Boot from CD/DVD:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

When I press enter to try again, the same message pops up even though the OS installation disk is already in the CD drive.

EDIT: I finally got into BIOS. I'm in CMOS right now. I went into "Standard CMOS features" My CD drive is listed there, but my hard drive is not. My CD drive is listed under "IDE Channel 0 Master"

However, I don't see my hard drive (also an IDE drive) there.

I have both of them connected with one IDE cable to the same IDE outlet (since there is only one on my motherboard. What should I do from here? Could this potentially be the cause of this error?
m
0
l
October 27, 2009 4:30:40 PM

I also changed the boot order so that it boots from the cd-drive first and the hard drive second. I had the OS disk in the CD drive and I still keep getting that error message.

EDIT: Never mind that. I managed to get the OS disk read by the computer just now (I used a different copy). The problem is that when I went to install a new copy of Windows XP, the desktop said that it could not find any hard drives installed. I already hooked up an IDE hard drive and I made sure that it was indeed connected to the power source.

The IDE hard drive and the IDE CD drive are connected using the same cable (since there is only one IDE slot on my mobo. Is that causing any problems?
m
0
l
October 27, 2009 6:43:02 PM

@ mike. the only thing i can think of is that your ide harddrive is also set to master. try changing the jumpers on the harddrive so that it becomes a slave.
m
0
l
October 27, 2009 9:55:29 PM

paperfox said:
@ mike. the only thing i can think of is that your ide harddrive is also set to master. try changing the jumpers on the harddrive so that it becomes a slave.


Yah, that's what I did. I originally had the CD drive set as the master and the hard drive as the slave. I tried switching the order and now it works just fine. Thanks.
m
0
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
October 27, 2009 10:05:31 PM

See? This would have been spotted two days ago if we had known you were using IDE drives ;) 
m
0
l
!