Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS EAH6770 not crossfire capable?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 22, 2012 3:18:07 AM

I don't see those ports where you can bind this to another 6770, is it possible that ASUS EAH6770 is not crossfire capable? O_O Because i read in AMD's site that all 6770's are xfire ready.
February 22, 2012 7:44:00 AM

It does indeed look like they skipped making that connector, The chip is probably capable, but connecting it in your own would be next to impossible.
m
l
February 23, 2012 1:42:22 AM

ugh -_- they forgot to inform me about that part, my fault as well for not researching any further. But I might have left that out as one of the factors when buying the card because I only have 500w in PSU at current so maybe that's why I never bothered about the whole xfire set up, and my mobo has only 1 PCI-E x16 slot but yeah in the future I am bound to upgrade or build a new one completely so I'm going to hold up on this for the meantime :) 
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2012 6:36:53 AM

I heard some people has a decent experience running the 5770/6770 in crossfire without bridge. But I definitively would not recommend this.
I am in the same situation (though impressively, my 5770 has 2 connectors for bridges) However I am not sure if going crossfire with such a midrange card is even a good idea. According to the look toms had at sli/crossfire a bit back, if you do so with midrange cards you often get microstuttering, they failed to document the effect though, and it seems perhaps only some people notice (just like some think 30 fps is completely smooth, others think it is not).
I am still pondering if I should buy a second one, that would be 1/3rd to ½ of the price of buying a new card equal to the 2x 5770/6770. But I am concerned about the stuttering.
A good 500W should be able to squeese in 2x 6770 by the way.

EDIT: If you don't already know, the 5770 and the 6770 is the same hardware with only a small bios change, you can even crossfire a combination if you put the 6770 first.
m
l
February 27, 2012 6:47:57 AM

koogco said:
I heard some people has a decent experience running the 5770/6770 in crossfire without bridge. But I definitively would not recommend this.
I am in the same situation (though impressively, my 5770 has 2 connectors for bridges) However I am not sure if going crossfire with such a midrange card is even a good idea. According to the look toms had at sli/crossfire a bit back, if you do so with midrange cards you often get microstuttering, they failed to document the effect though, and it seems perhaps only some people notice (just like some think 30 fps is completely smooth, others think it is not).
I am still pondering if I should buy a second one, that would be 1/3rd to ½ of the price of buying a new card equal to the 2x 5770/6770. But I am concerned about the stuttering.
A good 500W should be able to squeese in 2x 6770 by the way.

EDIT: If you don't already know, the 5770 and the 6770 is the same hardware with only a small bios change, you can even crossfire a combination if you put the 6770 first.

if only i knew that a 500w PSU can handle an xfire 6770 set up, and that the ASUS version of the 6770 is not xfire capable I would have chosen a different brand :??:  and that would save me to upgrading to only a mobo which has 2 PCI-e x16 slots seeing that 2 x 6770 is on par to a 6950 :(  I could have been future proof :sweat:  this taught me a lesson, looks aren't everything, I chose the ASUS version because it was a better known brand and it looked cooler, ugh, but not xfire capable, but are you saying that it's ok to go xfire without binding the 2 6770's together? You mean to say you can go crossfire by just putting them on 2 separate PCI-e x16 slots and then I'm good to go?
m
l

Best solution

March 9, 2012 9:52:10 AM

Sorry for the super late reply. Here is a guy claiming to have good performance without bridge: http://www.overclock.net/t/1181642/hd6770-crossfire-wit...
But I am fairly sure he is not getting the same performance as with bridge.
Some of the low end cards don't need the bridge (2x5550) according to AMD. So there is *some* communication without, but the bridge is for extra bandwidth between the cards. Just like you want 16 or 8x PCI-E rather than just 4x or 2x, you also want the bridge.
Reading around, some people say that it is up to how good the motherboard is. Running without bridge might increase temperature some in whatever controlls the PCI-e (Northbridge or CPU). I recommend you read around some yourself before making a decision.

In the future, I recommend putting a post here on the toms forums saying what you are planning to buy and what you will use it for. Then if someone spot something out of place (such as graphics without connector or such) they will tell you. I spent many many hours reading about and looking at hardware, but I still post before most buys.
May 18, 2014 12:19:05 AM

koogco said:
Sorry for the super late reply. Here is a guy claiming to have good performance without bridge: http://www.overclock.net/t/1181642/hd6770-crossfire-wit...
But I am fairly sure he is not getting the same performance as with bridge.
Some of the low end cards don't need the bridge (2x5550) according to AMD. So there is *some* communication without, but the bridge is for extra bandwidth between the cards. Just like you want 16 or 8x PCI-E rather than just 4x or 2x, you also want the bridge.
Reading around, some people say that it is up to how good the motherboard is. Running without bridge might increase temperature some in whatever controlls the PCI-e (Northbridge or CPU). I recommend you read around some yourself before making a decision.

In the future, I recommend putting a post here on the toms forums saying what you are planning to buy and what you will use it for. Then if someone spot something out of place (such as graphics without connector or such) they will tell you. I spent many many hours reading about and looking at hardware, but I still post before most buys.

Sorry for the super duperrrr late reply, thanks man!i forgot to chose your answer as best and right now i am finally looking up the link you gave,too bad my PSU and mobo aren't xfire compatible but thanks for the help! :) 
m
l
!