Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will a 3 dimm kit work on a dual channel board??

Last response: in Motherboards
April 20, 2010 9:33:59 PM

Hello,On asus qualified vendor list for P7P55D-E PRO which is a dual channel board, they qualify 3 stick kits for "A"-"B"-"C" configuration. Where does the third stick go??

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2010 10:07:16 PM

jmacj said:
Hello,On asus qualified vendor list for P7P55D-E PRO which is a dual channel board, they qualify 3 stick kits for "A"-"B"-"C" configuration. Where does the third stick go??

You can use two of the sticks in dual-channel mode or three sticks in single-channel mode. I'd go dual-channel. I have a ton of triple-channel kits where one module died, that I'm using in dual-channel motherboards.
May 1, 2010 3:57:48 PM

Crashman said:
You can use two of the sticks in dual-channel mode or three sticks in single-channel mode. I'd go dual-channel. I have a ton of triple-channel kits where one module died, that I'm using in dual-channel motherboards.

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks man....I was trying to figure out what the Gateways and HPs were doing when their MoBo has 4 slots that appear to be dual channel. The comp comes with 4Gb ram (2 Sticks) and then they offer an upgrade to 6Gb and add 1 more 2 gig stick. Seems if it were truly dual chan. that wouldn't work.
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2010 3:58:58 PM

Quote:
Sure it will work, but it will be slower that way.

To run in dual channel mode you need sticks in pairs.

Thanks man....I was trying to figure out what the Gateways and HPs were doing when their MoBo has 4 slots that appear to be dual channel. The comp comes with 4Gb ram (2 Sticks) and then they offer an upgrade to 6Gb and add 1 more 2 gig stick. Seems if it were truly dual chan. that wouldn't work.
m
l
May 1, 2010 4:00:37 PM

Crashman said:

m
l
May 8, 2010 4:11:13 AM

Best answer selected by jmacj.
m
l
!