Will a 3 dimm kit work on a dual channel board??

jmacj

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Hello,On asus qualified vendor list for P7P55D-E PRO which is a dual channel board, they qualify 3 stick kits for "A"-"B"-"C" configuration. Where does the third stick go??

Solution

You can use two of the sticks in dual-channel mode or three sticks in single-channel mode. I'd go dual-channel. I have a ton of triple-channel kits where one module died, that I'm using in dual-channel motherboards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You can use two of the sticks in dual-channel mode or three sticks in single-channel mode. I'd go dual-channel. I have a ton of triple-channel kits where one module died, that I'm using in dual-channel motherboards.

Solution

jmacj

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

Thanks man....I was trying to figure out what the Gateways and HPs were doing when their MoBo has 4 slots that appear to be dual channel. The comp comes with 4Gb ram (2 Sticks) and then they offer an upgrade to 6Gb and add 1 more 2 gig stick. Seems if it were truly dual chan. that wouldn't work.

jmacj

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Sure it will work, but it will be slower that way.

To run in dual channel mode you need sticks in pairs.
Thanks man....I was trying to figure out what the Gateways and HPs were doing when their MoBo has 4 slots that appear to be dual channel. The comp comes with 4Gb ram (2 Sticks) and then they offer an upgrade to 6Gb and add 1 more 2 gig stick. Seems if it were truly dual chan. that wouldn't work.

jmacj

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009