Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New water cooling build- Need help

Last response: in Overclocking
February 22, 2012 12:06:09 PM

Hey guys-
I have no past knowledge of water cooling, but i have built several PC's. I just have a few questions about my build. Feel free to add any tips/suggestions. I am using a dual RAD
First i will include the loop's specs

CPU Waterblock: XSPC Rasa w/ LGA 2011 Kit
GPU Waterblock: EK Electroless Nickel Plated 7970 Waterblock
RAM Waterblock (Yes, RAM, i know it will probably be useless, but i have an extra 50 bucks): EK Electroless Nickel
Pump/Res: XSPC 750 Pump/Res Combo
Res 2: Bitspower Multi-z 150
Rad 1: XSPC 720 Triple 120mm
Rad 2: XSPC 240 Dual 120mm
Pump 2: ???
Tubing: Primochill 7/16 5/8
Fittings: Bitspower and koolance 90 degree compressions
Software/Controller: Aquaero Aquacomputer LCD graphical Bay controller
Now, my questions.

1. Do i need a second pump? Because of the second radiator and multiple waterblocks, i am worried that the flow will decrease by the end of the loop
2. How will this be configured? Like the order? My idea so far is Res/Pump>Rad>Cpu>RAM>Res2>Rad2>GPU
3. Any other problems I may encounter? Tips/Tricks?
Thanks in Advance! I will post some pics of the build when it is finished.
-GoliatH

Is Thermolectric cooling worth it? I mean just a little peltier and a cold plate to put on my cpu. And also, what other parts would i need for this? Are there waterblocks made for peltiers?

More about : water cooling build

a c 190 K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 12:24:47 PM

lose the nickelplated blocks, stick with copper/acrylic and definitely no aluminium anywhere in the loop! :) 
lose ramblock, invest instead in a better pump, the Xspc will struggle to feed all that imo,
which rads are you getting? RX series or EX? don't bother with RS series,
loop order doesn't really matter as long as your pump is after the res
apart from that, theres a W/c sticky up top with lots of tips/do's and don'ts, run through that when you can
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265776-11-read-firs...
Moto
February 22, 2012 12:27:35 PM

Well the xspc parts I am getting come in a kit, so should i lose the kit and go with better parts? The pump is integrated in the res, so should i include a second pump?
Related resources

Best solution

a c 190 K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 12:35:52 PM

aah, didn't realise you were getting the kit, you listed seperately so I assumed you were buying that way,
ok, I'd still be wary of the pump, bear in mind you may need to add another to that to cope,
I have that res/pump combo myself so I know it well hehe, when I add my cards to my loop I'm adding another dualbay res, more for the added pump power, I already have three resses :p 
but still, lost the ramblock and gpublock, find a non-nickel gpu block (remember to ascertain whether your card is reference or non-ref design on the pcb)
and which kit is it? The RX or Rs? not sure if your US or not, but they can't get the EX series yet apparently
Moto
February 22, 2012 12:40:56 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
aah, didn't realise you were getting the kit, you listed seperately so I assumed you were buying that way,
ok, I'd still be wary of the pump, bear in mind you may need to add another to that to cope,
I have that res/pump combo myself so I know it well hehe, when I add my cards to my loop I'm adding another dualbay res, more for the added pump power, I already have three resses :p 
but still, lost the ramblock and gpublock, find a non-nickel gpu block (remember to ascertain whether your card is reference or non-ref design on the pcb)
and which kit is it? The RX or Rs? not sure if your US or not, but they can't get the EX series yet apparently
Moto

Explain to me what you mean by reference or non reference design on the pcd? I am a noob, sorry :p 
But i was going with the RS kit, because i was told to RX wouldn't work for some reason T_T. I am using an LGA 2011 setup, fyi. and i will lose the nickel plated, asap. I am also in the US.
-GoliatH
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 12:47:26 PM

RX wouldn't work? hmmm, RX is almost twice as efficent as the RS series, but it is also twice the thickness
the only 'restriction' I can think of is your case, and as my sig says, once you start watercooling, you also start modding,
Reference design on graphics cards means the circuit board is how ATI/NVidia designed it, same layout etc, non-ref means the manufacturer has used the Gpu but altered the layout, maybe the V-ram is in a different place for example, this would make a difference if you tried using a reference block on a non ref card, as it may not cool the correct parts properly,
Peltier cooling is not something I'm familiar with, (I hear its noisy though:p ) and maybe another member has more info on it for you
Moto
February 22, 2012 12:50:57 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
RX wouldn't work? hmmm, RX is almost twice as efficent as the RS series, but it is also twice the thickness
the only 'restriction' I can think of is your case, and as my sig says, once you start watercooling, you also start modding,
Reference design on graphics cards means the circuit board is how ATI/NVidia designed it, same layout etc, non-ref means the manufacturer has used the Gpu but altered the layout, maybe the V-ram is in a different place for example, this would make a difference if you tried using a reference block on a non ref card, as it may not cool the correct parts properly,
Peltier cooling is not something I'm familiar with, (I hear its noisy though:p ) and maybe another member has more info on it for you
Moto

Thanks. And thickness maybe an issue. I was told it wouldn't work by MyBadOmen (Winner of Mod of the Week on overclock.net) and he told me that it would not fit in my case. (NZXT phantom with side window)
And the peltier is noisy? Thats almost surprising, is it like an electric buzzing sound? Cause thats GROSS
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 12:59:38 PM

Its the power unit or whatever it is that the plates connected to,
far too loud for 'normal' use imo, its more an extreme Clockers tool than anything else
and yes, if you've been told it won't fit IN your case, then you have to start looking at external mounting, check the W/c gallery for some ideas, including a few Phantoms I believe
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/266324-11-water-coo...
Moto
February 22, 2012 1:02:51 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Its the power unit or whatever it is that the plates connected to,
far too loud for 'normal' use imo, its more an extreme Clockers tool than anything else
and yes, if you've been told it won't fir IN your case, then you have to start looking at external mounting, check the W/c gallery for some ideas, including a few Phantoms I believe
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/266324-11-water-coo...
Moto

I think i will just go with the RS series. it should perform excellently because i am using dual RS rads. And the peltier sounds like a bad choice. I will check out the thread you linked, too.
February 22, 2012 1:05:58 PM

And also, maybe i could mount the psu up top and mount the RX rad on the bottom of the case? Right now i am planning to mount the triple RS at the top and the dual on the side of the window panel.
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 1:08:47 PM

No probs, hope you get some nice ideas for your build there and look forward to seeing your build join the pages :) 
Moto
February 22, 2012 1:10:21 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
No probs, hope you get some nice ideas for your build there and look forward to seeing your build join the pages :) 
Moto

Thanks a bunch man. your a great help!
GoliatH
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 1:12:38 PM

Not sure you'll have room to mount the Psu up top, be interesting to see/hear the options for that though, and if you do mount a rad onto the side panel, make sure you have enough play in the tubing to allow you to open the door, not too much though or you'll end up with kinks, which are bad :) 
this is where the design process comes in...
Moto
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 1:29:49 PM

you need Rubix!
February 22, 2012 1:37:59 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Not sure you'll have room to mount the Psu up top, be interesting to see/hear the options for that though, and if you do mount a rad onto the side panel, make sure you have enough play in the tubing to allow you to open the door, not too much though or you'll end up with kinks, which are bad :) 
this is where the design process comes in...
Moto

Yeah. that might be an issue. But i am using anti kink coils so it should be fine
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 2:34:04 PM

Quote:
you need Rubix!

Nah, Moto has it well under control, but I appreciate recommendation! I'm here to help, nonetheless.

You can always make tighter bends in tubing if you bend and dip in boiling water, ice water, boiling, etc for a few times. You'll need something to prevent the tubing from collapsing while bending; something like this from your local hardware store:

It's a metal spring for bending plumbing tubing...found this at my local ACE hardware store for about $4 (if I recall correctly).
February 22, 2012 2:47:32 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
you need Rubix!

Nah, Moto has it well under control, but I appreciate recommendation! I'm here to help, nonetheless.

You can always make tighter bends in tubing if you bend and dip in boiling water, ice water, boiling, etc for a few times. You'll need something to prevent the tubing from collapsing while bending; something like this from your local hardware store:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/gcarver2006/IMAG0119.jpg

It's a metal spring for bending plumbing tubing...found this at my local ACE hardware store for about $4 (if I recall correctly).

Thanks, Rubix! i will be sure to employ your tips. That bending technique is going to help me loads. (Y)
February 22, 2012 3:36:48 PM

Best answer selected by _GoliatH_.
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 4:00:49 PM

Thank you for B.a. man, and post another thread if you need any more help on the build, might be worth looking through the stickies linked in Rubix' sig as well whilst you wait for fedex man :) 
Moto
February 22, 2012 10:39:15 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Thank you for B.a. man, and post another thread if you need any more help on the build, might be worth looking through the stickies linked in Rubix' sig as well whilst you wait for fedex man :) 
Moto

Anytime man. You were a great help. And I love your signature :p 
Thanks again
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 23, 2012 12:01:54 AM

Quote:
And I love your signature

:whistle: 
!