ASUS M4A79XTD EVO, new build, harddrive error, please help

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hello gentlemen.

I recently purchased a ASUS M4A79XTD EVO motherboard with AMD Phenom II x 4 965 processor and 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, and used other parts I had (ATI Radeon 4890, Corsair 750w PSU, LiteOn ODD, and Western Digital 500gb HDD)

I put all these parts into a Coolermaster CM 690.

Well, my BIOS loads up fine; but after it POSTS, I get a message saying quote:

"Adapter 1
Hard drive not detected"

I can boot from the CD/DVD drive however. I went into BIOS and made the CD/DVD drive my PRIMARY boot device. I was able to install Windows XP and then the Windows 7 64 Ultimate version. I even got to my desktop this way and installed one Windows automatic update. I then restarted the computer.

SAME message.

I went into BIOS and changed the boot order to my Harddisk drive first since I now had Windows 7 installed on it. I saved and exited. I got to the Windows 7 loading screen and then it flashed a blue screen and restarted itself, back into BIOS.

Ok, so I went back into bios and changed the "Storage Configuration" and changed the mode from IDE to AHCI, since I'm using SATA (They were three options, IDE, RAID, and AHCI).

So I don't know what to do if anyone can help me.

I checked the cables, everything is plugged in fine, I have 6 SATA ports on my motherbaord. The optical drive is plugged into SATA 1 and the Harddisk drive is plugged into SATA 2. The harddrive INFORMATION even comes up on the BIOS main window, it says "Western Digital 500GB" with the model number and vendor # so I don't understand how it could have this information but not detect it.......

* I am using a Harddrive from an old build, it was from my last computer than came with Windows 7 pre-installed on the harddrive. But like I said, the harddrive was working last time, and I even installed windows 7 on this new computer prior to rebooting etc....

Well.....Sorry about the long post, if any BIOS/motherboard experts are out there let me know......

Thanks again.

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Also, I should add, when my BIOS loads and system POST, I do not get any Beeps.... I don't know if this is normal?

I plugged in all the front panel cables, There was an AC97/HD Audio, 1394, USB, then the LED + and -, HDD LED, and POWER SW, and RESET SW I believe was all....

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
SOLVED.

Researched for the past few hours. Since I was using SATA HDD and ODD, I needed to disable the Marvell eSATA in BIOS under advanced in the onboard configuartion manual. Booted up to Windows 7 perfectly after.

seanh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I've run in to a very similar problem. In fact, this is as close as I can come to it. I'm running same mobo, same ram, AMD Phenom II x4 955 with a WD2500JS. I just put in the mobo/ram/processor yesterday. I haven't been able to get it to detect the 250gb hdd since I put it together. It just says it's not detected. I have another thread running for the issue, but I came across this one and wanted to say something because it seemed very similar.

The main difference is I'm only running WD2500JS 250gb, with nothing else besides a cd drive, which it is recognizing.

If you have any other insight, please feel free to let me know. Thank you.