Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD-Upgrading from 80 to 160 GiG SSD

Last response: in Storage
September 12, 2011 10:53:00 AM

Brought a 160 Gig SSD -to replace an 80 Gig SSD purchased 14 months ago. Both are intel,
There is a surprising lack of info online regarding making SSD to SSD upgrades--no notes on prms-"how to". Must be becoming common.
While I know the basics, are there any odd issues moving from SSD to SSD presents. ?
HD to HD or SSD-lots of info.

If you have not given one a try-do urge you to try if you sys supports

NOTE- this will be a clean install-reinstalling all of my both the OS and all software on my C drive
:bounce: 
a c 314 G Storage
September 12, 2011 1:55:43 PM

I'm confused about what you want to do. If it will "be a clean install-reinstalling all of my both the OS and all software on my C drive," then you don't need to do any transfer. Just plug in the new drive, unplug the old, and re-install.

On the other hand, most of us would use a tool like Clonezilla to clone the smaller SSD to the larger, then remove the smaller from the system and boot off the larger. If it works, you've transferred a running OS with no problems. You could even reformat the smaller one (so your system won't try to boot it) and use it for snappy-fast data storage.

Otherwise, could you be more explicit about what moving from one to the other entails when you propose to do a complete re-install on the second?
m
l

Best solution

September 14, 2011 8:54:40 PM

I don't think there are any SSD to SSD issues. Really, I haven't even seen any HDD to SSD issues with Windows 7. Just go ahead and update the firmware (if necessary) before you switch over to the new one.

It's not necessary for you to do a clean install. Just copy the partitions and then resize your OS partition (if you want to). I used partition wizard for this.
Related resources
a c 311 G Storage
September 14, 2011 11:01:15 PM

A clean install is the preferred method. Since that is what you'll be doing there should not be any issues.

Just remember to disconnect the old ssd cables before installing the new ssd. When you boot up for the first time go immediately into BIOS and make sure the new ssd is designated as the boot drive and that your are in AHCI mode. Then just go through the steps for a clean installation.
m
l
September 26, 2011 2:09:13 AM

eightdrunkengods said:
I don't think there are any SSD to SSD issues. Really, I haven't even seen any HDD to SSD issues with Windows 7. Just go ahead and update the firmware (if necessary) before you switch over to the new one.

It's not necessary for you to do a clean install. Just copy the partitions and then resize your OS partition (if you want to). I used partition wizard for this.

Do use a specific partwiz?
m
l
September 26, 2011 2:10:37 AM

Best answer selected by buzzyone.
m
l
September 26, 2011 9:33:56 PM

I use Partition Wizard 7 Home Edition.
m
l
!