Sign in with
Your question

Cold Boot / BSOD Problems with new build.

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2009 11:26:30 PM

Here is my system:
i5 750
Asus P7P55D PRO w/ latest BIOS 0711
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH
SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB
Windows 7 x64

The problem is that the system will boot to a blue screen on cold boots. This only happens on cold boots when the system has been off for more than 5-6 hours. After a few restarts the system will finally boot into windows, but I get lots of windows explorer has stopped working errors.

The BSOD is either STOP: 0x00000050 Page_Fault_In_Non-Paged_Area or one that says that a recent hardware change is causing the blue screen.

Ive ran memtest on both auto settings and also the rams rated speed (7-7-7-24 @1.65) for about 5 hours each with no errors.

I formated a few times switched ram sticks around and quadrupled check that the ram is seated properly, and still no go :( 

chkdsk dosent find any errors either.

Sounds like the PSU or Ram are to blame, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

a b B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2009 11:32:00 PM

Try this, I found it microsoft's website

# Start Windows in Safe mode. To do so:

1. Restart the computer, and then press F8 while the computer starts.
2. On the Windows Advanced Options Menu that appears, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
3. Use the ARROW keys to select the operating system to start, and then press ENTER to start Windows XP in Safe mode.

# In the message that states that Windows is running in Safe mode, click Yes.
# Click Start, click Run, type msinfo32 in the Open box, and then click OK.
# Under System Summary, expand Components, and then click Display.
# In the right pane, note the information that corresponds to the INF File item, for example, Nv4.inf, Oem0.inf, or Atim128.inf.
# Quit the System Information utility.
# Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
# Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
# Expand Display adapters, right-click the display adapter, and then click Uninstall.
# Click OK.
# Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
# In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each line:
ren %systemroot%\inf\INF file name from Step 5.inf *inf.old
ren %systemroot%\inf\INF file name from Step 5.pnf *pnf.old
# Close all open windows, and then restart the computer in the typical manner.
# Log on to Windows by using an account that has administrative privileges, and then wait for Windows to detect new hardware.
# When the Found New Hardware Wizard starts, click Cancel.
m
l
October 25, 2009 11:54:57 PM

Thanks jbakerlent,

Followed all the steps and the system booted right into windows. So is this a driver issue? What driver should I use for my video card now? Thanks and I appreciate the help.
m
l
!