• Corsair Force GT (120GB) £167

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Kingston HyperX (120GB) £179

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not too fussed on reliability as everything I have on the SSD will be backed up but I want one that's reasonably reliable. Is the force GT worth the extra £40?

I hope you know that an ssd will not improve actual game play and it will not improve FPS. The only thing that happens is that a game will launch faster and levels, maps, or charts will load faster. If you participate in online gaming, then the ssd will not improve anything. You'll still be at the mercy of your Internet Service Provider.

A few weeks ago Tom's Hardware published "SSD Performance In Crysis 2, World Of Warcraft, And Civilization V". It is an analysis of ssd's and gameplay. Here is the link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-gaming-performance,2991.html

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Your storage device does not affect the performance of your Game. When you open up a game or any program for that matter, it is loaded into the System RAM and operates from that. If your game is in your system memory, then your storage device (HDD or SSD) is not doing anything. The only thing a faster storage device will help with is loading times and launch times. Your FPS however, is unaffected. Whether you have an HDD that is 4200rpm with a 20Mb/s read/write rate with a 100ms access time or an SSD with a 2GB/s read/write with a 0.00001ms access time...your FPS will be the same. Your RAM is what counts.

morgoth780

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011

I totally agree, cause I would rather spend the money not being used on SSD on a better graphics card

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

Is this still true in games like Fallout NV & Oblivion where it pauses to load new scenery constantly. In an free roaming game that has to load new area as you walk in to them, I assumed this slight lag (sometimes not slight!) would be eliminated! :??:

Ongbac

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

iT WILL IMPROVE YOUR GAMING IF YOUR IN FIRST, NOT ALL MAPS WAIT TILL ALL ARE LOADED. fIRST IN BEST DRESSED.

jlang

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Games like BF3 online will not change. Sure, you are in 1st but the servers are set up with a timer at the beginning of each round. I just wait longer now. The only change, in this game at least, is the initial time it takes to get into an existing game. Other than that, not that big of a deal.

computertechs

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I will go to anandtech.com and compare them.

TRENDING THREADS