Mem Frequency and Small o.c. help

LCBChef18

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
New: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231552&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-
Old: Corsair Dominator GT 6gb 2000Mhz

How do you set up timings and clock speeds on Ram?

I had asked this same question on another forum, and got this response.

"Manually enter your CL11 timings with 2T CR and DRAM voltage (1.60v) in the bios.
Initially shoot for 2000MHZ with your CPU bus set at 250MHz.
Obviously at 250 bus, you will need to adjust your CPU, CPU/NB, and HT Link frequencies as desired. "

I then replied with..

"In another thread I stated somewhere that i'm a pc building novice. I vaguely comprehend setting up timings and voltage. However bus speeds and ht link frequencies are something I know nothing about. If you could go into greater detail as to what these do, and what could be an appropriate setting that would be appreciated. I do know that settings like these are specific to each individual build though.

So I ask you guys the same thing I asked him. What is all that mumbo jumbo? Is that in turn going to help me achieve a slight overclock? I'm shooting for 3.8 using a coolerrmaster v8. 4.0 would be great but idk if the v8 can keep it cool enough. I'm completely new at this. Short of installing components I know absolutely nothing about overclocking and memory frequencies.

Build:
Crosshair V formula
1090t
ax850
G.Skill Ares 8gb
6850x2
F60 ssd (corsair)
wd 1tb hdd
Coolermaster V8 with 3 fans cooling it.
Case Haf X
Ignore the OC in the sig.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
why mess with overclocking memory at all you have unlocked CPU just bump your CPU multiplier bit (~ +500mhz)
and amd 6850 to like 875mhz core 1100mhz memory
and that's your slight OC, ~20% boost
OC'ing memory give slight, pretty much useless performance boost in real world use

LCBChef18

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

I don't mean to toot my own horn considering I mentioned i'm a novice. But from things i've read on just about every forum i'm involved in overclocking is much more than just increasing the core multiplier. I do however agree that memory clock speeds are hardly noticeable. However correct me if i'm wrong, but starting off with setting the timings and frequency on the memory is the start to an overclock on the cpu? I could be wrong.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Here is guide i found if you want to mess around
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/upgrades/how-to-overclock-ddr3-ram-719466
Memory is messy business it takes long time and hundreds of restarts and test to find good OC point to get stability and performance.
That's why AMD Black Edition unlocked CPU so nice don't have to mess with FSB, for simple beginner OC, all other CPU's are locked and need to adjust frequency to OC.
you can get lucky like i did when first ddr3 came out, bought 4gb kit 1333mhz simply set it in bios to 1600mhz and it worked perfect, :)

LCBChef18

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

Hey man, I can't seem to change my bios settings for w/e reason. Made a vid on it here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtXRHYRPMTM

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
hmm haven't seen that bios, but anyway i OC my 6 core amd easy from 3.2 base into 4.0, just need good cooler, (same as yours) but each motherboard is different,

are you sure you got BE Unlock editions it seem like you don't thats what happen when you don't, ??

LCBChef18

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

Says it is on the box, and my software let me change the core multi, just not in bios

Quaddro

Distinguished
actually OC'ing memory give a boost performance, depend on what you've raise..

if you tightening your timing, it will make your program lauch faster..

if you raise the bandwith of your memory, massive application such as 3D rendering etc, will be faster..

setting timing like tightening the latencies will not oc the cpu..

Raise the frequency of your memory beyond spesification not always make your processor in the overclocked condition..

for example.
ddr3 pc12800 1600mhz.
1090T 3200 16x200 mhz.
cpu nb 2000
htlink 2000

but if you run it at..
14.5x220mhz
cpu nb 1800
htlink 1800
you've overclock the memory at ddr3 1760 Mhz but the processor still have (almost) same speed..

ps: sorry for my poor english...:)