liberona

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Hi,

I don't know if i posted this in the right section so sorry if i did. I want to put the WD15EADS in my computer for storage. I have WD640AALS for OS and applications. I went to the store to buy this drive and the guy told me they are prone to failure since the power saving system shuts the HD on and off repeatedly (during non use and use). Should I stay away from this drive? He recommened a Seagate Barracudea ST31500341AS which I heard have a very high rate of failure. Any recommendations on a good storage drive that is relatively cheap? I do not need a fast drive just something I can store movies on and watch from the drive.

Thank you.

HappyBison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
It depends on the purpose.
ST31500341AS is faster, this is 7200rpm drive. But WD15EADS is slower on this aspect.
I use WD Green drives for my storage, but I use Seagate as my system drives.

Regarding WD failures due to some power savings issues. I think the sales guy just confused it with WD Idle feature which is adjustable and can be disabled on those drives (Google for "wdidle" for more info).

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

+1

liberona

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
I bought the WD15EADS. I would like to monitor the LCC count to see if it increasing too fast. I have WinDLG but do not know how to get the exact LCC number. Any help would be appreciated. thank you