I5 Overclocking w/ Turbo Boost?

G

So I just got my i5 in today and it's supposed to run at 3.3 and Turbo Boost to 3.7. What happens if you overclock? If you overclock to 3.5 does it still Turbo Boost to 3.7? What happens if you overclock past 3.7? Also, what can you achieve with the stock cooler?

EDIT: I never see my Core Speed go above 3.4Ghz.....why is that?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I have not played with Intel yet, but my AM3+ board has a separate multiplier in the BIOS for the turbo speed. (AMD 1045t chip)

When I OC'd my chip from 2.7 to 3.4 with the FSB, it *tried* to turbo up to 4 Ghz and BSOD on me with light loads.

Lowering just the turbo multiplier allowed me to "keep" the boost function at 3.7 Ghz.

Not sure how intel works in this regard, but it's something you might be able to find in your BIOS without too much trouble.

My "turbo boost" is now only 300 Mhz, but I was at least able to retain the turbo function.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

If you wanna see turbo boost in action download the Intel's Turbo Boost 2.0 Monitor in Intel.com
If you want to overclock the CPU you should go over 3.7 GHZ. Mine is also i5 2500K overclocked at 4.7 GHZ.
Before you attempt to overclock the CPU, buy an aftermarket CPU cooler(liquid or air)
When I say it is running at 4.7 GHZ it will only throttle up to that clock speed(4.7 GHZ) if you are gaming and or stressing the CPU. Very important to download CPU-Z and HW Monitor to have a grasp of your entire system and to monitor the 4 core temps of the CPU. Buying an aftermarket CPU cooler is an investment to prolong the life of an overclocked CPU because high temp will degrade your CPU if you are just using the stock cooler that came with the CPU. High Heat is the number 1 enemy of an overclocked CPU.

There are different turbo levels but essentially 4 bins to play with:
4 cores - 3.4
3 cores - 3.5
2 cores - 3.6
1 core - 3.7
Most mobos automatically disable turbo when you oc. You will oc higher with it off as you won't have control over the voltage in the different levels which will cause instability.

G

When I run LinX with 1 thread, my Turbo Boost jumps up to only 3.6GHz. ):

G

Turbo.png

OH LAWD!

G

Sure did. I'm not even sure if I am going to overclock. I don't remember overclocking as being a heavy increase in performance.

Yeah kind of a draw back of these Sandy Bridge CPUs. I can OC my i5 750 with turbo boost enabled, I got it up to 3.7ghz with turbo hitting 4.25ghz. The difference is that I can change my base clock (worked up to 177) and SB chips can't.

So, yeah, Turbo is disabled on the 2500k once you manually change the multiplier.