Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Microsoft Tun Miniport - HELP!!!

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 2:45:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Dear All,

For no obvious reason I have just ended up having a device under the Network
folder of Device Manager called 'Microsoft Tun Miniport Adaptor #2'.

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what I have done to cause this and I
have not installed anything at all apart from pulling in the latest updates
and NOT the SP2 yet.

I can not uninstall this as the warning message says "Unable to install,
device maybe needed to boot the computer with....)

This is not causing me any problem yet! but is simply very annoying to have
something that shows to be conflicting.

Many thanks in advance for your help
Bina

More about : microsoft tun miniport

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 2:45:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:45:28 +0100, Bina wrote:

> I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what I have done to cause this and I
> have not installed anything at all apart from pulling in the latest updates
> and NOT the SP2 yet.

The Advanced Networking update adds this item.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=microsoft...


--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 1:57:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Many thanks Sharn,

I had seen that item but it does not address my issue. I have no bridge nor
have I recently installed the advanced networking option. The ANO was indeed
installed last year when I first setup the pc but this thing had just over
the past few days appeared. I read through all of that thread to remove it
to no success.

Regards,
Bina
"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:%23Ikdqv8iEHA.2544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:45:28 +0100, Bina wrote:
>
> > I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what I have done to cause this and
I
> > have not installed anything at all apart from pulling in the latest
updates
> > and NOT the SP2 yet.
>
> The Advanced Networking update adds this item.
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=microsoft...
>
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Related resources
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 1:57:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:57:41 +0100, Bina wrote:

> Many thanks Sharn,
>
> I had seen that item but it does not address my issue. I have no bridge nor
> have I recently installed the advanced networking option. The ANO was indeed
> installed last year when I first setup the pc but this thing had just over
> the past few days appeared. I read through all of that thread to remove it
> to no success.

When I was reading those threads on google, there didn't seem to be any
glaring problems with this item present. One or two people had a conflict
noted in Device Manager as you mentioned having. Since it only appears on a
handful of PCs (even when no bridging is present), my guess would be that
there is something about your networking configuration that triggers its
addition.

Note: In most of those discussion threads, this item seemed to be related
to hardware but there was one user that connected its appearance with the
installation of software provided by their ISP. Uninstalling the software
did not remove the item.

In other words, my suggestion is to leave this item alone. If it's needed,
it's there to be used. If it's not needed, its just a few extra bits noted
in your network configuration.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 10:07:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Many thanks Sharon,

will take your advise and leave it alone.
Regards,
Bina

"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:o 646mhDjEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:57:41 +0100, Bina wrote:
>
> > Many thanks Sharn,
> >
> > I had seen that item but it does not address my issue. I have no bridge
nor
> > have I recently installed the advanced networking option. The ANO was
indeed
> > installed last year when I first setup the pc but this thing had just
over
> > the past few days appeared. I read through all of that thread to remove
it
> > to no success.
>
> When I was reading those threads on google, there didn't seem to be any
> glaring problems with this item present. One or two people had a conflict
> noted in Device Manager as you mentioned having. Since it only appears on
a
> handful of PCs (even when no bridging is present), my guess would be that
> there is something about your networking configuration that triggers its
> addition.
>
> Note: In most of those discussion threads, this item seemed to be related
> to hardware but there was one user that connected its appearance with the
> installation of software provided by their ISP. Uninstalling the software
> did not remove the item.
>
> In other words, my suggestion is to leave this item alone. If it's needed,
> it's there to be used. If it's not needed, its just a few extra bits noted
> in your network configuration.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
!