Microsoft Tun Miniport - HELP!!!

Dear All,

For no obvious reason I have just ended up having a device under the Network
folder of Device Manager called 'Microsoft Tun Miniport Adaptor #2'.

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what I have done to cause this and I
have not installed anything at all apart from pulling in the latest updates
and NOT the SP2 yet.

I can not uninstall this as the warning message says "Unable to install,
device maybe needed to boot the computer with....)

This is not causing me any problem yet! but is simply very annoying to have
something that shows to be conflicting.

Many thanks in advance for your help
Bina
4 answers Last reply
More about microsoft miniport help

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:45:28 +0100, Bina wrote:

    > I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what I have done to cause this and I
    > have not installed anything at all apart from pulling in the latest updates
    > and NOT the SP2 yet.

    The Advanced Networking update adds this item.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=microsoft+tun

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Many thanks Sharn,

    I had seen that item but it does not address my issue. I have no bridge nor
    have I recently installed the advanced networking option. The ANO was indeed
    installed last year when I first setup the pc but this thing had just over
    the past few days appeared. I read through all of that thread to remove it
    to no success.

    Regards,
    Bina

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:57:41 +0100, Bina wrote:

    > Many thanks Sharn,
    >
    > I had seen that item but it does not address my issue. I have no bridge nor
    > have I recently installed the advanced networking option. The ANO was indeed
    > installed last year when I first setup the pc but this thing had just over
    > the past few days appeared. I read through all of that thread to remove it
    > to no success.

    When I was reading those threads on google, there didn't seem to be any
    glaring problems with this item present. One or two people had a conflict
    noted in Device Manager as you mentioned having. Since it only appears on a
    handful of PCs (even when no bridging is present), my guess would be that
    there is something about your networking configuration that triggers its
    addition.

    Note: In most of those discussion threads, this item seemed to be related
    to hardware but there was one user that connected its appearance with the
    installation of software provided by their ISP. Uninstalling the software
    did not remove the item.

    In other words, my suggestion is to leave this item alone. If it's needed,
    it's there to be used. If it's not needed, its just a few extra bits noted
    in your network configuration.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Many thanks Sharon,

    will take your advise and leave it alone.
    Regards,
    Bina

    > On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:57:41 +0100, Bina wrote:
    >
    > > Many thanks Sharn,
    > >
    > > I had seen that item but it does not address my issue. I have no bridge
    nor
    > > have I recently installed the advanced networking option. The ANO was
    indeed
    > > installed last year when I first setup the pc but this thing had just
    over
    > > the past few days appeared. I read through all of that thread to remove
    it
    > > to no success.
    >
    > When I was reading those threads on google, there didn't seem to be any
    > glaring problems with this item present. One or two people had a conflict
    > noted in Device Manager as you mentioned having. Since it only appears on
    > handful of PCs (even when no bridging is present), my guess would be that
    > there is something about your networking configuration that triggers its
    > addition.
    >
    > Note: In most of those discussion threads, this item seemed to be related
    > to hardware but there was one user that connected its appearance with the
    > installation of software provided by their ISP. Uninstalling the software
    > did not remove the item.
    >
    > In other words, my suggestion is to leave this item alone. If it's needed,
    > it's there to be used. If it's not needed, its just a few extra bits noted
    > in your network configuration.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Configuration Microsoft Devices Windows XP