Custom water cooling suggestions?

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
So as of right now, I have a Thermaltake Frio. My temps are fine (Low 30s at Idle and Mid 60s at full load), but my issue is the noise and size (it is LOUD and HUGE). How's the noise with water cooling? I'm also looking to do a side panel mod for my case (NZXT Phantom), and custom water cooling imo would look awesome.

So let's start off with my system:

CPU: i7-2600k
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB
Case (as stated above): NZXT Phantom
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 (but will probably upgrade to GTX 600 series)
PSU: Corsair TX650M

Don't know if you need any more information. Tell me if I'm missing something important.

I've never done a custom water cooling, so I'm kinda clueless on what exactly to buy. I know you need a radiator, pump, block, tubing, reservoir, etc. Would it make sense to buy all the parts individually or get a kit like this: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15210/ex-wat-205/Ek_H30_240_LTX_Advanced_Liquid_Cooling_Kit_EK-KIT_H3O_240_LTX.html?tl=g30c83s137#blank or this: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14182/ex-wat-181/XSPC_Rasa_750_RX240_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_RX240_Radiator_and_Free_Kill_Coil.html?tl=g30c83s137

I'm just throwing those out there for reference, not necessarily going to get those. So the Phantom has support for a single and dual 120mm rad, but with a little modding you can fit in a 3 x 120mm rad. Is the difference that much better to go with the larger rad? I know more surface area is better, but how is the performance upgrade?

For colors, I'd like to stick to just black and white if possible. The LEDs on my case are blue, but I might change them with white ones. My RAM is red and my GPU is blue, so there's a bit of a problem here. Since I'm probably going to upgrade my GPU and change the LEDs, I suppose if white or black theme isn't an option, then red will do fine. Lastly, my budget is probably $250 max, but I'd like to keep it under $200. Remember I'm not water cooling my 6850, so you can leave out a GPU waterblock for now. Sorry for this being so long, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Solution
I'm wary of the EK kit, I use a modified RX240 kit and would recommend it to you,
And if you are just cooling the Cpu then any 240 is going to be well enough although over radding is never bad,
If you post in the Watercooling section you will find you get more replies though, and most of us are happy to help plan mods needed too
Moto
I'm wary of the EK kit, I use a modified RX240 kit and would recommend it to you,
And if you are just cooling the Cpu then any 240 is going to be well enough although over radding is never bad,
If you post in the Watercooling section you will find you get more replies though, and most of us are happy to help plan mods needed too
Moto

Solution

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
There's a water-cooling section? Lol I should probably know this. Thanks for your advice I will definately take it into consideration. Can I move the thread myself, or can only a moderator do that and I should just re-post in the water cooling section?