Sign in with
Your question

Help new system can't find dvd drive in bios

Last response: in Storage
September 12, 2011 4:53:36 PM

Please if someone can help me. This is my first build and not at all sure what I am doing. I have everything hooked up and I powered it up and all seemed to be doing ok. Then I went into the BIOS to get the computer to load from the dvd drive to add my os. My problem is the system shows the hard drive and a bootable add on card (whatever that is) but no dvd driver. I have checked the connections and swithed the sata ports. I have switched cables but nothing is working and I don't know what to do.
September 12, 2011 4:58:40 PM

coolbreeze0121 said:
Please if someone can help me. This is my first build and not at all sure what I am doing. I have everything hooked up and I powered it up and all seemed to be doing ok. Then I went into the BIOS to get the computer to load from the dvd drive to add my os. My problem is the system shows the hard drive and a bootable add on card (whatever that is) but no dvd driver. I have checked the connections and swithed the sata ports. I have switched cables but nothing is working and I don't know what to do.

Hi coolbreeze012 :hello:  . Please inform us of the brand & model. ;) 
m
l
September 12, 2011 5:06:44 PM

Sorry coolbreeze,I can not help you if you can not give us your brand name & model.
m
l
Related resources
September 12, 2011 8:24:38 PM

Sorry but am so upset at things that I left out that important information. My mobo is a gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 with an i5. My dvd is a gear head 24x lightscribe dvd +/- r
m
l
a b G Storage
September 12, 2011 8:50:51 PM

Make sure that you have the DVD plugged into the correct SATA controller. Some SATA controllers only support HDD and SSD. Your board has two controllers. Make sure the DVD Drive is not plugged into the Marvell Controller as these often do not support DVD Drives.

Chipset:
2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3_0, SATA3_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
3 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_2~SATA2_4) supporting up to 3 SATA 3Gb/s devices PLUG THE DVD INTO ONE OF THESE PORTS
1 x eSATA 3Gb/s connector on the back panel supporting up to 1 SATA 3Gb/s device
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
* When a RAID set is built across the SATA 6Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s channels, the system performance of the RAID set may vary depending on the devices being connected.
Marvell 88SE9172 chip:
2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_5, GSATA3_6) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices DO NOT PLUG THE DVD INTO ONE OF THESE PORTS
Support for SATA RAID 0 and RAID 1
m
l
!