Hello & Request information about AMD 1100T overclocking

Fred558

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Hello there.
This is my first post on here and I hope to get the information here I need to get my system to a high stable overclock.

This is my system info.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE
Mem: 8GB DDR3 Gskill RipjawsX
GPU: SLI Gigabyte superoverclock GTX 570
Case: Antec 1200
PSU: Antec CP1000
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D1

When I found out the bulldozer processors were not getting positive reviews I decided I should overclock my 1100T as far as I could. Since I have no real experience with overclocking other than just raising the multiplier in AMD Overdrive I started reading the guides on this site, and some other ones about Phenom II overclocking. I learned a lot (and am still learning) and managed to get a stable overclock of 3900Mhz by raising the multiplier and adjusting voltage accordingly. All this is still done only with AOD.

My goal is to achieve around 4200Mhz, and I was pretty happy when I was able to run wPrime on the following settings.
Multiplier: 21
FSB: 200
CPU Speed: 4200Mhz
NB Speed: 2600Mhz
HT Link: 2000Mhz
CPU Volt: 1.45
NB Volt: 1.25

I ran a 3DMark CPU test and also came through without any errors. Heat was 61.4 degrees.
But when I ran prime95 the heat raised to 63 degrees and I got a BSOD within 20 seconds.

So I was wondering if I could get any tips on how to achieve a better overclock. I guess I should maybe head in a different direction than just raising the multiplier. I started raising the FSB a little, but I get the idea that AOD does not give you all the feedback on all the things that change when I do that. I know by raising FSB you also overclock the memory and I'm not sure how far I can go with that.

Am I correct when i say that AOD does not allow you to change the NB Frequency.? I found the NB voltage in AOD, but I seem to be only able to set the frequency in the bios.

Also I am a little concerned with all the BSOD's I'm getting when testing out new settings. Can I harm my hardware if I do this to often.?

Thanks in advance.
Fred.

Fred558

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Thank you for the response.

I am already using this guide. I now have now reached a stable overclock of 3970Mhz on 55 degrees.

Multiplier : 19
FSB: 209
CPU Volt: 1.40
HT link: x9
NB: Auto

I was wondering about the NB though. If I keep it on auto will it adjust to the right frequency.?
Because according to CPUz it is running on 2080Mhz (It's on auto in bios), but I found it should be running near 2600Mhz according to a guide on overclockers.com. But that was for a Phenom II 940.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
63 degrees sounds a bit high.

I have read that high heat can cause instability, but I don't know exactly how high the temp needs to get to cause the problem. (I'm sure it's a little different for every chip.)

Try lowering your temps by using a little less voltage.

Both high heat and low voltage can hurt stability. -So it's a bit of a balancing act.

(Or you could just upgrade to liquid cooling to get low temps with those voltages)

Fred558

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Yep. 63 was way to high ...

55 seems pretty stable though. I'll try lowering the voltage a little to see if I can get it a bit cooler even.

Your running with to high a voltage and your HT and NB frequency should match for performance. On thuban often times many push the CPU voltage to high to compensate for low NB and HT voltages. I suggest trying a CPU voltage of ~1.39, NB voltage of 1.275, and HT voltage of 1.24.

What speed is your memory? If its 1600 then run your FSB at 240 and lower the multiplier. Here are my settings on a thuban 960T unlocked 6 cores at 3.72GHz under 50 Celsius. This is just an overclock attempt tho so both your NB and HT will need to be about 2400~2600 for performance. I suggest you not try for 4.2GHz as that isn't a stable 24/7 overclock. I suggest 3.86GHz or lower for your CPU to last long and give top performance.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-261868_29_650.html#t1959409

If your CPU goes over 56 Celsius you should back it down a bit. The thermal limit of the thuban are 61 Celsius and anywhere near this wouldn't be good for long term use. Currently your HT of 2000 is bottle necking performance and raised to 2400 will perform better while increase your CPU's thermals a bit.

Fred558

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Great info. Thanks.

My mem is 1600.

By raising the multiplier to 240 I'm overclocking the mem also right.? So i'll need to lower the frequency on that. Since I can't change the ratio on my board.

I see that you have a ratio of 3:10 ... Mine is 1:4 ...

Fred558

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
By lowering the multiplier i also have the memory on 3:10 now.

Nice settings. Overal gives me better scores than I had.

grahamie

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
watch your memory speed your internal memory controller in your cpu is 1333 running your ram at 1600 is already overclocked ( i burnt up a cpu like that ) try setting your ram at 1333 and see if your able to stabilize your cpu higher also watch when you increasing your fsb as it changes more than just your ram speed it also effects your h/t and your n/b speed you may need to address this in order to get fully stable with high end overclocking
Also dont use amd overdrive for overclocking, do it in the bios
Bsod wont hurt your hardware as long as your not going crazy with voltages, Remember overclocking is a long tedious procedure when its done properly, so go step by step and only increase in small increments (ALWAYS) watching your temperatures.

Fred558

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I indeed noticed that AOD is not showing correct values anymore since I've been changing settings in the bios. AOD thinks I'm still running on 1.3v for example.

CPUZ shows correct values I assume.

One thing I did notice is when I set CPU Volt. to 1.400v in the bios is that CPUZ shows it as 1.400v. But when I start Prime95 the CPU Volt. changes to 1.36v.

Could there be some setting I missed in the bios somewhere.? Or is this normal.?

I do use AOD to check the temperature of the CPU. But when AOD says 55 degrees. CPUID says the temperature is only 40 degrees. I guess AOD is right here.

Thanks for the tip on memory. I'll try that also.

If you have cool and quit on then yes you drop to 1.36v and about 960MHz at idle with 240fsb. Make sure you have turbo core off as it can go crazy. Once prime95 start your voltage should rise a bit. If your system drops to 1.36 under load then you may have turbo core on or need to update your bios.

For temps I use speedfan as it almost always works and rarely throws out crazy numbers.
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Fred558

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Thanks for speedfan. I'll give it try as well.

I thought I turned off all cool and quiet / turbo's ... Maybe I missed something ...
But only volt seems to drop, frequency and fsb stay as I set them.

Could it be a false reading.?

Fred558

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Thank you for all the info. It sure has helped me.

I would like to close the topic. But I can't edit message.