Toshiba laptop shutting off by itself from time to time

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 11, 2004 3:14:50 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, about 2 years old. It shuts down
from time to time, just by itself. I don’t believe this is power
supply related (??).

Anyone seen this. Please help.

--
http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.HardwareForumz.com/General-Discussion-Toshib...

what model?
how old?
when it happens?

"steve" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
news:D 4f921aade2240c5fbd36ec05c5a4032@news.teranews.com...
> I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, about 2 years old. It shuts down
> from time to time, just by itself. I don't believe this is power
> supply related (??).
>
> Anyone seen this. Please help.
>
> --
> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's
request
> Topic URL:
http://www.HardwareForumz.com/General-Discussion-Toshib...
e-time-ftopict165991.html
http://www.HardwareForumz.com/eform.php?p=667899
June 11, 2004 3:37:01 AM

steve <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

> I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, about 2 years old. It shuts down
> from time to time, just by itself. I don’t believe this is power
> supply related (??).

Infected with Blaster?

--
CeeBee

EMH Mark I: "Stop breathing down my neck."
EMH Mark II: "My breath is merely a simulation."
EMH Mark I: "So is my neck. Stop it anyway."
Related resources
June 11, 2004 4:29:27 AM

Satellite 1800, 2 years old. The problem is intermittent (can’t
really tell you when it happens). It could be when it is using "too
much" memory!! but I am not sure.

--
http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.HardwareForumz.com/General-Discussion-Toshib...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.HardwareForumz.com/eform.php?p=667991
June 11, 2004 4:31:31 AM

CeeBee wrote:
> steve <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in comp.sys.laptops:
>
> Infected with Blaster?

Well, I run mcAffee on it, so I am ’almost’ sure it is not that. This
has been going on for a long time.

--
http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.HardwareForumz.com/General-Discussion-Toshib...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.HardwareForumz.com/eform.php?p=667992
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 11, 2004 2:32:35 PM

Could it be overheating and auto powering off ?
Does it feel hot ?
Does internal fan come on ?

I have been living with this problem on my 1905-S301 - about 2 years old.
I dont think it is worth sending it in for repair - probably to have CPU and
heat sink regreased and reseated.

Alan Ponting

> Satellite 1800, 2 years old. The problem is intermittent (can’t
> really tell you when it happens). It could be when it is using "too
> much" memory!! but I am not sure.
>
> --
> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's
request
> Topic URL:
http://www.HardwareForumz.com/General-Discussion-Toshib...
http://www.HardwareForumz.com/eform.php?p=667991
June 11, 2004 9:03:01 PM

> Could it be overheating and auto powering off ?
> Does it feel hot ?
> Does internal fan come on ?

This one sounds more of the culprit. I have never tried to feel the
temprature when it turns off. I will do a little "feel" test to
see. Are there any software that would show me the temp. I have that
s/w on my intel motherboard PC, but for Toshiba?

--
http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.HardwareForumz.com/General-Discussion-Toshib...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.HardwareForumz.com/eform.php?p=668857
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 12:51:04 PM

It sounds to me like it's a possible overheating issue. You should
try buying yourself a laptop cooler over at hardwarecooling.com here
is the link: http://www.hardwarecooling.com/default.php/cPath/33

They have a bunch of notebook coolers for you to choose from. I
purchased the bytecc aluminum notebook cooler and it works without a
problem. A friend of mine told me that the Vantec lapcool notebook
cooler works pretty well. I hope this piece of information helps. If
you are looking for a laptop cooler hardwarecooling.com has a large
selection for you to choose from. If you need any help you can call
their customer service hotline. They are pretty helpful and will tell
you which notebook cooler is good for your laptop. If the fan inside
is not working they could tell you where to buy them if they do not
have them in stock.

I hope this piece if information helps.
June 14, 2004 9:34:46 PM

> It sounds to me like it’s a possible overheating issue. You should
> try buying yourself a laptop cooler over at hardwarecooling.com here
> is the link: http://www.hardwarecooling.com/default.php/cPath/33
>
> They have a bunch of notebook coolers for you to choose from. I
> purchased the bytecc aluminum notebook cooler and it works without
> problem. A friend of mine told me that the Vantec lapcool notebook
> cooler works pretty well. I hope this piece of information helps.
If
> you are looking for a laptop cooler hardwarecooling.com has a large
> selection for you to choose from. If you need any help you can
call
> their customer service hotline. They are pretty helpful and will
tell
> you which notebook cooler is good for your laptop. If the fan
inside
> is not working they could tell you where to buy them if they do not
> have them in stock.
>
> I hope this piece if information helps.

Thanks! My laptop does have a fan. Does it still need a cooler? How
can I diagnose if that is the problem?

--
http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.HardwareForumz.com/General-Discussion-Toshib...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.HardwareForumz.com/eform.php?p=672853
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 5, 2004 8:40:05 PM

Do the symptoms change if it's on internal power only? If so, it would
possibly indicate an overheating issue (when it's on battery only, the CPU
is running at a slower speed and heating up less).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

> CeeBee wrote:
> > steve <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in comp.sys.laptops:
> >
> > Infected with Blaster?
> >

> Well, I run mcAffee on it, so I am 'almost' sure it is not that. This
> has been going on for a long time.
>
> --
> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's
request
> Topic URL:
http://www.HardwareForumz.com/General-Discussion-Toshib...
http://www.HardwareForumz.com/eform.php?p=667992

August 28, 2013 7:44:37 AM

Heating is the main culprit in most of these cases, so all you need to do is to check your PC`s cooling fan it is working properly and throwing enough air out or not. Also check your exhaust fins (heat sink) if they are not stuck by dust particles, just in case carefully use an air blower at low pressure to clear the exhaust vents which shall allow hot air to cross easily.
!