Sign in with
Your question

RAID0 SATA 3 MB/s drives, or single SATA 6MB/s drive?

Last response: in Storage
September 12, 2011 7:55:28 PM

Question,

I'm putting together a system, and ran across an interesting situation; would it be better to go with a single 2 TB SATA 6 MB/s drive, or a pair of 1 TB SATA 3 MB/s drives in RAID0? From what I can remember reading recent articles on HDDs, we're not even at the point of filling the bandwidth on the 3MB/s SATA channels, so I wasn't sure if moving to the wider bandwidth would gain anything either in performance or reliability (or any other category for that matter).

Yes, I know there are other factors to consider, but assuming everything else is equal, which of the two options would you recommend and why?

Look forward to hearing some replies!
a c 372 G Storage
September 12, 2011 8:15:24 PM

I've never been a fan of RAID 0 as technically, it's not a true RAID. R = Redundant. RAID 0 is not redundant. If one drive fails, you lose all your data on the array.

That said, I'd prefer to go the single drive route - either sata2 or sata3. As you said, you won't hit the performance wall with a hard drive.
September 13, 2011 1:08:42 PM

Hey Manthas

I use raid 0 across 4 X 250 GB drives and it has been working well for me the past year or so. Here are the things to consider however. Is the data valuable? If so this type of raid is not recommended. Are the files that are going to be transfered to the drive big or small? are they compiled of smaller dll and exe directories? If so again not really recommended for you. you ideally want to be transfer singular large files such as movies and the like. With the setup you will have a 50 percent chance of RAID failure, with my system raid i have over a 80 percent chance of raid failure you must be aware that if a single drive does fail it will wipe all your data off the drives. if information is not important then yes it is something to consider, also try make sure that when you buy your drives they are 7200 RPM and not the new eco drives which run at 5900 RPM and 5400 RPM
!