The ultimate troubleshoot. Experts help!

gangstap

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Ok, where to begin.

Here are my computer components before I get started for reference purposes.

Asus p6x58d premium mb
Intel core i7 930
XFX 5850 XXX edition
OCZ gold DDR3 triple channel 1600mhz mem
Corsair 750TX psu
Antec 300 illusion (case)

I have ruined TWO motherboards. I initially put the computer together and it worked great. However I couldn't boot because the motherboard and the power supply fan connector were for whatever reason, not allowing it to to even boot. I unplugged the fans from the mb and it worked. I have tried ALL of the chassis fan connectors and the other ones too and I can't boot when the fans are plugged into the mb so I just leave them unplugged. It works but it sucks because I can't control fan speed. Whatever.
I recently purchased the Arctic freezer 7 heatsink so that I could lower my load temps to maybe OC. I don't know WHAT I did but the computer wouldn't start back up. The speaker was giving me a long beep followed by two short beeps. None of the manufacturers of any of my core components knew difinitively what was wrong so i sent it ALL back to newegg and got a new cpu mb and mem (luckily I've eliminated my vid card from being the problem). The new stuff came in the mail and I put it all together again (including the Arctic freezer 7). It worked. Still, with this mb I wasn't able to plug the fans in. A few days later I noticed my temps were high and that one of my large fans wasn't working. I took the side of the case off so I could fix the fan. I tried plugging in the power supply fan connector to the motherboard and the computer wouldn't boot. Not even for a second. just a click and that was it, just like the first mb. I unplugged the power supply fan connector from the motherboard and tried to boot. To my horror it wasn't POSTing and it gave me the same beep codes 1 long 2 short. I was devastated. WHAT AM I DOING TO THESE MOTHERBOARDS? Could I possibly be shocking them? I try to be as careful as possible with static electricity but that is literally the ONLY thing I can think of.
I have narrowed it down to a few problems
1. I am zapping the motherboards and they are toast.
2. The arctic freezer 7 messing with something?
3. I ruined the cpu
4. the power supply fan connector is for whatever reason ruining my motherboards.

Anyone? Any thoughts? I don't want to do this to my third motherboard.

You have worked through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems
yes?

I mean work through, not just read over it.

Breadboard the system to isolate any kind of case problem.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to.

You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems.
Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

Add a memory stick. Pattern should change to one long and two or three short beep. If it does, it means that your motherboard is successfully detecting the absence of the video card.

Test all the memory. If good, add the video card. If the video card is good, you should hear the single should beep of a successful POST.

You do not need keyboard, monitor, mouse, or drives to POST successfully.