Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dual Tuner/ Amount of Time Used or Left

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:22:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Just received my DirecTV unit and can't figure out how to find the menu(?)
for number of total hours used or left. Are they shown separately?
Everything seems to work properly, so this has me stumped. I used DISH
Satellite previously and it always stated hours used and left with the list
of programs. Also, Cannot find the 30-second "skip". Perhaps, I am not
reading the Manual correctly. Thanks in advance for any help.

RJC res6njeb@verizon.net
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:22:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 08/19/2005 1:22 PM, RJC pondered briefly and then wrote:

> Just received my DirecTV unit and can't figure out how to find the menu(?)
> for number of total hours used or left. Are they shown separately?
> Everything seems to work properly, so this has me stumped. I used DISH
> Satellite previously and it always stated hours used and left with the list
> of programs. Also, Cannot find the 30-second "skip". Perhaps, I am not
> reading the Manual correctly. Thanks in advance for any help.

Let's take the easy one first. 30 second skip is a 'hidden' feature.
It's not officially supported, therefore it's not in the manual. To
activate it, while playing a show back from your Now Showing list, press
select-play-select-3-0-select. You should hear a confirmation tone when
done correctly. Now just hit the 'skip to end' button to move ahead in
30-second increments.

There isn't a free space (or used space) indicator on Tivo. Many have
requested this feature over the years. Tivo says it's tuff to get a
truly accurate measurement so they don't do it (or so I've heard). If
you turn on Tivo Suggestions, you can use that as sort of an indicator.
The Suggestions will fill up the hard drive and then be overwritten with
the programs you choose to record. By keeping an eye on how many
suggestions are listed in the Now Playing, you can get a good
'guestimate' on how much space is left.

Good luck and welcome to the Tivolution.
--
Steve
http://www.soundclick.com/rockermann
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:22:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

RJC wrote:
> Just received my DirecTV unit and can't figure out how to find the menu(?)
> for number of total hours used or left.

That info is not really needed, you know.
Your TiVo will automatically delete old, expired shows when it
needs the disk space for new recordings. Only the people
who micromanage their recordings, by setting everything to
Keep Until I Delete, really have a need for that information.

Granted, it is sort of a warm fuzzy to know, but installing
additional disk drive space is more practical.
-Joe
Related resources
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:34:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 2005-08-19, RJC <res6njeb@verizon.net> wrote:
> Just received my DirecTV unit and can't figure out how to find the menu(?)
> for number of total hours used or left. Are they shown separately?

Doesn't exist.

> Also, Cannot find the 30-second "skip". Perhaps, I am not
> reading the Manual correctly. Thanks in advance for any help.

Is only a back-door created by hitting a series of keys on the remote.
Find using google.

--
This is my .sig
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:44:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Steve M. Mann" <rockermann@LOOSEITsteve-mann.com> wrote in message
news:430624fe$1_1@newspeer2.tds.net...
> On 08/19/2005 1:22 PM, RJC pondered briefly and then wrote:
>
> > Just received my DirecTV unit and can't figure out how to find the
menu(?)
> > for number of total hours used or left. Are they shown separately?
> > Everything seems to work properly, so this has me stumped. I used DISH
> > Satellite previously and it always stated hours used and left with the
list
> > of programs. Also, Cannot find the 30-second "skip". Perhaps, I am not
> > reading the Manual correctly. Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Let's take the easy one first. 30 second skip is a 'hidden' feature.
> It's not officially supported, therefore it's not in the manual. To
> activate it, while playing a show back from your Now Showing list, press
> select-play-select-3-0-select. You should hear a confirmation tone when
> done correctly. Now just hit the 'skip to end' button to move ahead in
> 30-second increments.
>
> There isn't a free space (or used space) indicator on Tivo. Many have
> requested this feature over the years. Tivo says it's tuff to get a
> truly accurate measurement so they don't do it (or so I've heard). If
> you turn on Tivo Suggestions, you can use that as sort of an indicator.
> The Suggestions will fill up the hard drive and then be overwritten with
> the programs you choose to record. By keeping an eye on how many
> suggestions are listed in the Now Playing, you can get a good
> 'guestimate' on how much space is left.
>
> Good luck and welcome to the Tivolution.
> --
> Steve
> http://www.soundclick.com/rockermann

Thank you so much for the help. I would probably still be looking..... I
love this group. No question too stupid to be answered. I am not even
considering hooking TIVO to my computer....yet. But, who knows??? LOL.
Thanks, again.
RJC
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:24:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Mmm with the 30 sec. skip I can not get either of my DTV units to accept the
back door.
When I push the select,play,select the green time bar pops up, then the 3
and 0 cause a thunk sound and select nothing..
Doing this several times, no good.. I have the HD-250 and Philips 708..
UGH

"Steve M. Mann" <rockermann@LOOSEITsteve-mann.com> wrote in message
news:430624fe$1_1@newspeer2.tds.net...
> On 08/19/2005 1:22 PM, RJC pondered briefly and then wrote:
>
>> Just received my DirecTV unit and can't figure out how to find the
>> menu(?)
>> for number of total hours used or left. Are they shown separately?
>> Everything seems to work properly, so this has me stumped. I used DISH
>> Satellite previously and it always stated hours used and left with the
>> list
>> of programs. Also, Cannot find the 30-second "skip". Perhaps, I am not
>> reading the Manual correctly. Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Let's take the easy one first. 30 second skip is a 'hidden' feature.
> It's not officially supported, therefore it's not in the manual. To
> activate it, while playing a show back from your Now Showing list, press
> select-play-select-3-0-select. You should hear a confirmation tone when
> done correctly. Now just hit the 'skip to end' button to move ahead in
> 30-second increments.
>
> There isn't a free space (or used space) indicator on Tivo. Many have
> requested this feature over the years. Tivo says it's tuff to get a
> truly accurate measurement so they don't do it (or so I've heard). If
> you turn on Tivo Suggestions, you can use that as sort of an indicator.
> The Suggestions will fill up the hard drive and then be overwritten with
> the programs you choose to record. By keeping an eye on how many
> suggestions are listed in the Now Playing, you can get a good
> 'guestimate' on how much space is left.
>
> Good luck and welcome to the Tivolution.
> --
> Steve
> http://www.soundclick.com/rockermann
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:59:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Mohawk Brewing" <mohawkbrewing@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:2vCdnQIDXaXrHZXeRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
> Mmm with the 30 sec. skip I can not get either of my DTV units to accept
the
> back door.
> When I push the select,play,select the green time bar pops up, then the 3
> and 0 cause a thunk sound and select nothing..
> Doing this several times, no good.. I have the HD-250 and Philips 708..
> UGH
>
> "Steve M. Mann" <rockermann@LOOSEITsteve-mann.com> wrote in message
> news:430624fe$1_1@newspeer2.tds.net...
> > On 08/19/2005 1:22 PM, RJC pondered briefly and then wrote:
> >
> >> Just received my DirecTV unit and can't figure out how to find the
> >> menu(?)
> >> for number of total hours used or left. Are they shown separately?
> >> Everything seems to work properly, so this has me stumped. I used DISH
> >> Satellite previously and it always stated hours used and left with the
> >> list
> >> of programs. Also, Cannot find the 30-second "skip". Perhaps, I am
not
> >> reading the Manual correctly. Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > Let's take the easy one first. 30 second skip is a 'hidden' feature.
> > It's not officially supported, therefore it's not in the manual. To
> > activate it, while playing a show back from your Now Showing list, press
> > select-play-select-3-0-select. You should hear a confirmation tone when
> > done correctly. Now just hit the 'skip to end' button to move ahead in
> > 30-second increments.
> >
> > There isn't a free space (or used space) indicator on Tivo. Many have
> > requested this feature over the years. Tivo says it's tuff to get a
> > truly accurate measurement so they don't do it (or so I've heard). If
> > you turn on Tivo Suggestions, you can use that as sort of an indicator.
> > The Suggestions will fill up the hard drive and then be overwritten with
> > the programs you choose to record. By keeping an eye on how many
> > suggestions are listed in the Now Playing, you can get a good
> > 'guestimate' on how much space is left.
> >
> > Good luck and welcome to the Tivolution.
> > --
> > Steve
> > http://www.soundclick.com/rockermann
>
>
Thanks, Steve. I tried this for the 30-second skip during playback and it
Works! I guess you do this every time (only during playback of the
recording). No matter, it Works....and saves so much time. Now I have to
find out if it works during "Save To VCR...
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:59:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

RJC <res6njeb@verizon.net> wrote:
> Thanks, Steve. I tried this for the 30-second skip during playback and it
> Works! I guess you do this every time (only during playback of the

You only need to do it once per restart (so after initial install, after
upgrades, after a power failure, or a manual system restart).

--
Stephen Harris
usenet@spuddy.org
The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
My employer pays to ignore my opinions; you get to do it for free.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 7:33:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 8/21/2005 8:24 AM, Mohawk Brewing pondered for some undetermined
amount of time then wrote:

> "Steve M. Mann" <rockermann@LOOSEITsteve-mann.com> wrote in message
> news:430624fe$1_1@newspeer2.tds.net...
>> On 08/19/2005 1:22 PM, RJC pondered briefly and then wrote:
>>
>>> Just received my DirecTV unit and can't figure out how to find the
>>> menu(?)
>>> for number of total hours used or left. Are they shown separately?
>>> Everything seems to work properly, so this has me stumped. I used DISH
>>> Satellite previously and it always stated hours used and left with the
>>> list
>>> of programs. Also, Cannot find the 30-second "skip". Perhaps, I am not
>>> reading the Manual correctly. Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>> Let's take the easy one first. 30 second skip is a 'hidden' feature.
>> It's not officially supported, therefore it's not in the manual. To
>> activate it, while playing a show back from your Now Showing list, press
>> select-play-select-3-0-select. You should hear a confirmation tone when
>> done correctly. Now just hit the 'skip to end' button to move ahead in
>> 30-second increments.
>>
>> There isn't a free space (or used space) indicator on Tivo. Many have
>> requested this feature over the years. Tivo says it's tuff to get a
>> truly accurate measurement so they don't do it (or so I've heard). If
>> you turn on Tivo Suggestions, you can use that as sort of an indicator.
>> The Suggestions will fill up the hard drive and then be overwritten with
>> the programs you choose to record. By keeping an eye on how many
>> suggestions are listed in the Now Playing, you can get a good
>> 'guestimate' on how much space is left.
>>
>> Good luck and welcome to the Tivolution.
>
> Mmm with the 30 sec. skip I can not get either of my DTV units to accept the
> back door.
> When I push the select,play,select the green time bar pops up, then the 3
> and 0 cause a thunk sound and select nothing..
> Doing this several times, no good.. I have the HD-250 and Philips 708..
> UGH

You need to enter the code while PLAYING BACK a previously recorded
show. It will not work if you're watching 'live' TV.
--
Steve
http://www.soundclick.com/rockermann
August 21, 2005 9:53:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Steve M. Mann" <rockermann@LOOSEITsteve-mann.com> wrote in
news:V81Oe.12918$mb4.11436@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com:

> You need to enter the code while PLAYING BACK a previously recorded
> show. It will not work if you're watching 'live' TV.

It has for me every single time I've entered it while watching live tv. I
prefer to do it during a recording, because of course it will change to
channel 30 otherwise, but that doesn't prevent it from working.

--
Minister of All Things Digital & Electronic, and Holder of Past Knowledge
stile99@email.com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
I speak for no one but myself, and |Caffeine will be assimilated.
no one else speaks for me. O- | Decaf is futile.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 1:25:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Howard" <stile99@email.com> wrote in message news:Xns96B9832D44E85stile@129.250.170.90...
> "Steve M. Mann" <rockermann@LOOSEITsteve-mann.com> wrote in
> news:V81Oe.12918$mb4.11436@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com:
>
> > You need to enter the code while PLAYING BACK a previously recorded
> > show. It will not work if you're watching 'live' TV.
>
> It has for me every single time I've entered it while watching live tv. I
> prefer to do it during a recording, because of course it will change to
> channel 30 otherwise, but that doesn't prevent it from working.
>

Press Clear after the last Select to keep the tuner on the current channel.

"Select Play Select 3 0 Select Clear" will enable 30 sec advance and prevent
channel change. If the channel changes, you are too slow with key presses.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 10:16:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <2vCdnQIDXaXrHZXeRVn-jQ@comcast.com>,
Mohawk Brewing <mohawkbrewing@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>Mmm with the 30 sec. skip I can not get either of my DTV units to accept the
>back door.
>When I push the select,play,select the green time bar pops up, then the 3
>and 0 cause a thunk sound and select nothing..
>Doing this several times, no good.. I have the HD-250 and Philips 708..

Have you actually *tried* the 30 second skip after this process though?

I remember hearing that at least some version of the software would
give the 'thunk' sound, but it still worked.

There are a couple of machines with Tivo software that don't do the
30 second skip -- I think one of them is the Humax Tivo/DVD recorder though.
--
mattack@gmail.com
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 10:21:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <IsudnSRRNoIQtpveRVn-rQ@comcast.com>,
Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> wrote:
>RJC wrote:
>> Just received my DirecTV unit and can't figure out how to find the menu(?)
>> for number of total hours used or left.
>
>That info is not really needed, you know.
>Your TiVo will automatically delete old, expired shows when it
>needs the disk space for new recordings. Only the people
>who micromanage their recordings, by setting everything to
>Keep Until I Delete, really have a need for that information.

Isn't the customer always right?

I micromanage my recordings from your point of view. I've used that term
before too.

I record things because *I* want to watch them or delete them.

Knowing how much free space is more than a 'warm fuzzy' to me, because I can be
confident if shows I recorded to watch will or will not be deleted when I am
gone.

BTW, I *don't* have everything as Keep Until I Delete because then I get far
far too many warnings, and because Tivo doesn't instantaneously update the
To Do list when I delete a show. (If I'm completely full with shows
KUID, and I delete a show at 7:59, it won't be fast enough to start recording
a new show at 8PM.) So I live 'on the edge' and use the suggestion
length as a poor man's FSI. My non-Tivo hard drive/DVD recorder gives me
a nice 1:32 estimate at current recording level. I sure wish (and would
pay for a software update to get) Tivo had something like this.

As people have shown snapshots of before, apparently even Tivo has recognized
that people want this, and there was the start of an implementation of this
in one of the system info screens. I don't remember if this ever made it
to an actual release. (Not relevant to me since I have S1s, and I think
that the place it was put was FAR too obscure. It should be at the top of
the To Do list and in the Now Showing list.)
--
mattack@gmail.com
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:47:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 2005-08-23, mattack@gmail.com <mattack@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <IsudnSRRNoIQtpveRVn-rQ@comcast.com>, Joe Smith
> <joe@inwap.com> wrote:
>>RJC wrote:
>>> Just received my DirecTV unit and can't figure out how to find the
>>> menu(?) for number of total hours used or left.
>>
>>That info is not really needed, you know. Your TiVo will automatically
>>delete old, expired shows when it needs the disk space for new
>>recordings. Only the people who micromanage their recordings, by
>>setting everything to Keep Until I Delete, really have a need for that
>>information.
>
> Isn't the customer always right?
>
> I micromanage my recordings from your point of view. I've used that
> term before too.
>
> I record things because *I* want to watch them or delete them.
>
> Knowing how much free space is more than a 'warm fuzzy' to me, because I
> can be confident if shows I recorded to watch will or will not be
> deleted when I am gone.

You sound like the prime candidate to hack your TiVo and add in that
functionality. It is so trivially easy, I don't really know of a reason
not to do this. You would get so many additional features it just doesn't
make sense not to hack your box.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:59:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

<mattack@gmail.com> wrote in message news:D edtnn$osd$1@vax.hanford.org...
> In article <IsudnSRRNoIQtpveRVn-rQ@comcast.com>,
> Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> wrote:
> >RJC wrote:
> >> Just received my DirecTV unit and can't figure out how to find the
menu(?)
> >> for number of total hours used or left.
> >
> >That info is not really needed, you know.
> >Your TiVo will automatically delete old, expired shows when it
> >needs the disk space for new recordings. Only the people
> >who micromanage their recordings, by setting everything to
> >Keep Until I Delete, really have a need for that information.
>
> Isn't the customer always right?
>
> I micromanage my recordings from your point of view. I've used that term
> before too.
>
> I record things because *I* want to watch them or delete them.
>
> Knowing how much free space is more than a 'warm fuzzy' to me, because I
can be
> confident if shows I recorded to watch will or will not be deleted when I
am
> gone.
>
> BTW, I *don't* have everything as Keep Until I Delete because then I get
far
> far too many warnings, and because Tivo doesn't instantaneously update the
> To Do list when I delete a show. (If I'm completely full with shows
> KUID, and I delete a show at 7:59, it won't be fast enough to start
recording
> a new show at 8PM.) So I live 'on the edge' and use the suggestion
> length as a poor man's FSI. My non-Tivo hard drive/DVD recorder gives me
> a nice 1:32 estimate at current recording level. I sure wish (and would
> pay for a software update to get) Tivo had something like this.
>
> As people have shown snapshots of before, apparently even Tivo has
recognized
> that people want this, and there was the start of an implementation of
this
> in one of the system info screens. I don't remember if this ever made it
> to an actual release. (Not relevant to me since I have S1s, and I think
> that the place it was put was FAR too obscure. It should be at the top of
> the To Do list and in the Now Showing list.)
> --
> mattack@gmail.com

Thank you. That is what I meant when I asked for Time Used or Amount of
Time Remaining. I agree that it should be shown at the top of the To Do
List *and* in the Now Showing List. DISH TV provided it with the 100 hour
DVR, and it was great to know how much time was left, particularly when
recording marathons. And I don't consider it "micro-managing". It is on
the same level as checking my computer to know how much disk space I have
used and how much is left.

res6njeb@verizon.net
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 8:07:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

RJC <res6njeb@verizon.net> wrote:
> Just received my DirecTV unit and can't figure out how to find the menu(?)
> for number of total hours used or left. Are they shown separately?


If you enable "folders" on the Now Playing list, you might be able to do
the math pretty easily. Each folder shows the number of shows in that
folder. I see about 28 hours on my stock DTivo.

--
---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8,-122.5
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:18:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <11gl720ji6kvd76@corp.supernews.com>,
Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote:
>You sound like the prime candidate to hack your TiVo and add in that
>functionality. It is so trivially easy, I don't really know of a reason
>not to do this. You would get so many additional features it just doesn't
>make sense not to hack your box.

But I can't get the info *ON THE SCREEN*, right? I have to connect to it
with a computer (which would then require me to hook up to it).

If there were a hack that would show me this info in Now Playing or
somewhere else *on the TV screen*, I'd very likely try it.
--
mattack@gmail.com
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 8:03:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 2005-08-26, mattack@gmail.com <mattack@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <11gl720ji6kvd76@corp.supernews.com>,
> Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>You sound like the prime candidate to hack your TiVo and add in that
>>functionality. It is so trivially easy, I don't really know of a reason
>>not to do this. You would get so many additional features it just doesn't
>>make sense not to hack your box.
>
> But I can't get the info *ON THE SCREEN*, right? I have to connect to it
> with a computer (which would then require me to hook up to it).
>
> If there were a hack that would show me this info in Now Playing or
> somewhere else *on the TV screen*, I'd very likely try it.

If you hack your TiVo, you can get this info on the TV screen. There are
a number of apps out there that can display info to the TV screen and you
could set it up to tell you about free space if that's what you're
interested in. There isn't a single hack to do what you want but you
could get what you want done.

You can also access the TiVo information from a web browser which is more
common.

--
This is my .sig
!