I can't believe it!!! How could this happen?

Geogi

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Hello,

I'm in disbelief right now. I built a computer for a friend and a few months later the monitor started going blurry until you turn it off and back on. Then a few minutes later it will happen again. It's a Gigabyte mobo with on-board graphics that I've never been real fond of but she just uses email and such. Anyway I figured it was the 3200 graphics that was causing the problem so we ordered a 4350 ATI. I installed it today and poof the problem is still there. Any ideas?

HELP Please ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

XP Pro
AMD
Sony Monitor LCD

Thanks,

Onyx2291

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Try a different monitor as you said "the monitor started going blurry until you turn it off and back on" I don't think turning the monitor off and on would temporarily fix something wrong with the gpu and/or mobo.

Geogi

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Did that... What could it be? Not the monitor... Not the video... Cable? No, I think I changed them with the new monitor. Bios setting? Not sure.. Quality setting? Maybe... Hmmm... Both monitors had identical results. A green choppy bar at the top about 1/4" tall and fuzz so nothing is readable. Can barely see the mouse move. Jumper setting? don't think so. No overclocking done.

First of all, you know that your computer and your monitor work. Try the monitor on your computer with her cables. If it still does it try the monitor with your cables. Check the power cable as well. If nothing is wrong then try the computer on your monitor with your cables.

I'm guessing that the power cable your using for the monitor could be faulty, the outlet you plug it into is faulty, or there is some EM interference screwing up the monitor.

Something has failed. Since you seem to be able to exchange parts, I suggest that you do so in some sort of an organized manner, one part at a time in order to find the failing part.
Take the parts out of the case, and start exchanging parts. My guess is the psu or the motherboard.

Is it possible that dust has accumulated, and there is a heat issue?

Geogi

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Hey Guys,

Very good suggestions but I've done most of them. They moved houses and the problem was at both places. The computer is brand new with new power supply and no dust problem. I think geo might be onto something. Hmmmm... It was a nice Antec psu but even the best have a failure rate... I don't have a spare psu to try...

All cables were switched and no change. I'm thinking geo is on the right track. Makes sense. There is some kind of grounding issue that wouldn't be mobo or vid card specific. Just not sure how to test it?

Thanks for all your help.. Much appreciated!