Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Installed althon 64 x2 4800+ and only shows 2.50GB RAM

Last response: in Memory
April 22, 2010 2:55:20 AM

Ok so I have an A8N-SLI running bios version 1011 which acording to ausus supports the 4800+ dual core.
I have 4GB of ram installed and 2 nividia 7800GT OC (256mb ram each)

Now when I had the athlon 3800+ (single core) installed It showed 3GB ram in the system properties

I have searched on here and on google and I can't find anything relating memory and change of processor.
Is there anyway I can get this to show 3GB ram again In XP professional SP3 (32bit)or even 4?
a b } Memory
April 22, 2010 3:04:24 AM

What is your OS?
Score
a b } Memory
April 22, 2010 3:12:46 AM

The processor you installed has nothing to do with the sudden change in memory display. Check to make sure you if you have memory remapping in the BIOS, it did not get turned off during the switch. Have you checked to make sure you simply didn't knock a memory stick loose during the install of the new Processor? Did you try removing and re-seating all of it? Did you upgrade the BIOS, did you reset it with the jumper after you upgraded it?
Score
Related resources
April 22, 2010 3:26:24 AM

Thanks for the fast response I'm running XP Professional 32bit
All memory is frilmly seated and was not even brushed druing the processor change.
The system has been restarted multiple times and 4GB remaping options in bios have been enabled and did not change when the new CPU was detected.
I have not updated the bios because my current version is listed as supporting all my hardware and has not given me any issues in the past.
I agree the CPU change SHOULD have nothing to do with the change in memory display but being that thats the ONLY thing I changed (all other hardware and bios settings are the same as before) so thats all I have to go on for now. I'll try removing and re-installing and seeing what that does...
Score
a b } Memory
April 22, 2010 3:32:21 AM

Could try resetting the BIOS and/or upgrading to the most recent non-beta BIOS. I actually still have that board (A8N-SLI Deluxe) but with an FX-60 and only 2GB ram.
Score
April 22, 2010 3:46:22 AM

would you also happen to have bois ver 1014-002 ? I have read several threads saying that is the most stable bios for the a8n-sli but that the support site only gives ver 1014 (-000)
I'll try a bios reset I'd like to see what other alternatives there are before I go updating the bios because I like to reserve that as a last resort or if a component just insn't supported. (Or isn't fully supported, which may be the case)
Score
April 22, 2010 4:21:19 AM

So I turned it off, moved the clear CMOS jumper over for 10 sec and then booted into BIOS to restore all my settings. I turned off the BIOS splash screen so I could read the post. It says 3670016 KB Ok so I don't get why I'm only getting 2.50GB in windows?
And isn't 4GB 4096000 KB or is 3670016 KB the unrounded version of 4gb?

anyway I'm a give it a rest tonight. I'll check back tomorrow to see if u guys have more ideas 4 me.
thanks
Score
a b } Memory
April 22, 2010 1:01:13 PM

4096 is 4GB, though sometimes it shows up a hair less (like 4090). I'm not sure what mine say during post.

Actually, I guess despite the similarities, they went a few BIOSes farther with the deluxe. I use the 1805 BIOS (2007/07/04) which worked great for me, but I guess that doesn't exist for your board.
Score
April 23, 2010 4:22:17 AM

so the bios menu says 4096 installed when I'm going thru the settings but it only says 3670 OK on the post screen. aslo, after resetting the cmos the performance tab on the task manger nolonger splits the cpu usage history like it sould for a dual core. ausus http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=J9FKa8z2xVId3pDK&... states that this cpu is compatible with bois 1008 and later so why my 1011 and I don't know what else is gving me problems I don't know...
Score
a b } Memory
April 23, 2010 12:10:35 PM

Did you reinstall windows when going from the single core to dual core?

Also, after resetting CMOS, did you go back in and load defaults and then properly set other settings?
Score
April 23, 2010 6:37:03 PM

EXT64 said:
Did you reinstall windows when going from the single core to dual core?

Also, after resetting CMOS, did you go back in and load defaults and then properly set other settings?

I did go back thru cmos after resetting.

I did not re-install windows when going from singal to dual core, I don't have a disc for this computer and a new copy of xp pro is not in the budget right now. If thats what it takes I'll have to try that in a few weeks.
Score
a b } Memory
April 23, 2010 7:55:41 PM

Go into device manager and see what the system/computer driver is and how many cores show up there.
Score
April 23, 2010 11:59:09 PM

Processors
-AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+
-AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+

It shows 2 so I guess it just randomly decided to stop splitting the CPU Usage history.
Score
a b } Memory
April 24, 2010 1:07:09 PM

You shouldn't have to reinstall Windows, and the processor is displaying as it should under the device manager.
Do you have 2 CPU graphs in your task manager? You should.
Now, back to the original problem, is there an option in your BIOS for memory remapping? You may need to turn it on if there is.
Score
April 24, 2010 5:16:18 PM

jitpublisher said:
You shouldn't have to reinstall Windows, and the processor is displaying as it should under the device manager.
Do you have 2 CPU graphs in your task manager? You should.
Now, back to the original problem, is there an option in your BIOS for memory remapping? You may need to turn it on if there is.

ghkj21 said:
... the performance tab on the task manger nolonger splits the cpu usage history like it sould for a dual core...
ghkj21 said:
...4GB remaping options in bios have been enabled and did not change when the new CPU was detected....
Score
April 25, 2010 12:33:23 AM

I don't know why I didn't notice this sooner but my memory had been clocking as 333 instead of 400 on the post screen. so I went into dram settings and moved it from auto to manual and set the correct frequency... once in windows it was clocking 367 so I went back to bios and set mem voltage from auto to 2.75v It is now clocking 420 in windows.
the post screen also shows "3932....ok" and sysem properties is telling me 2.75gb.
Could the problem be that the automatic values for voltage are not high enough for a system running the dual core? I'm going to set the cpu voltage to manual next and see if that picks up the last .25gb
Score
a b } Memory
April 25, 2010 2:52:07 AM

Worth a shot. Very weird though. Did you ever get the newest BIOS?
Score
April 25, 2010 3:52:53 AM

I dicided to put bios 1014 on there. (could not find 1014.002) after putting that bios on it went back to showing 2.5 nomatter what I changed. on the other hand my onboard lan works better so I may just keep it.

I spent an afternoon swapping parts back and forth trying my memory out of other computers. It seems that anytime the x2 4800+ is installed it will default to 333 when more than 2 mem slots are taken. but if all 4 aren't used the cpu will not reach its full clock speed.
Maybe if I'd gotten an x2 4600+ instead (only differance is the cache 512 vs 1024) I wouldn't have had this problem? anyway it runs fine even if it only uses 62.5% of its memory and I've got the cpu clocked up to 2.59 right now.(yes I used standard settings when playing with the memory)

maybe I will mess arround with the beta BIOS(1604) and see if that gets me farther. there are no notes on the beta so who knows, maybe thats what they were trying to fix.
Score
a b } Memory
April 25, 2010 1:21:01 PM

I did read somewhere now that I remember, a bent or broken, or missing pin on the processor can sometimes cause this. Look at the pinouts on your processor under a magnifying glass and see if you can find anything wrong there.
Score
a b } Memory
April 25, 2010 3:10:11 PM

Normally those were harder to break, but a good idea to check.

Also, I'm not sure if the old 939 chips can do 4 x 400 MHz Ram (might need to be 333). Could your old chip do 4 x 400?
Score
a b } Memory
April 25, 2010 3:32:01 PM

EXT64 said:

Also, I'm not sure if the old 939 chips can do 4 x 400 MHz Ram (might need to be 333). Could your old chip do 4 x 400?

My old 4600x2 on a DFI Lanparty 3200 CFX DR/g ran 4 1gig sticks of Patriot Extreme DDR with no problems. It would default to 333 if left on auto, but I manually set it to 400 and it was fine.
Score
April 25, 2010 5:16:08 PM

EXT64 said:

the old chip defauled to 4x 400 MHZ. I thought I was pretty anal about the pins each time I found one bent on first install and a used a credidt card to align it with the row. I can check again just to be sure. If u don't hear back that wasn't it.

I found some dual core drivers on the amd website, somehow they brought my temps down (prolly real time throttle and voltage control) but no help with the memory situation.
Score
April 29, 2010 4:30:04 AM

well after trying the BETA I tried the a8n-sli deluxe bios since I thought the only diferance between the boards was the number of LAN ports. No dice and I did not flash a spare chip first so I'm waiting on a new pre-flashed one to come in...

No more messing with bios after that, its gotta be something else...
is it possible that the 2x 1024 cache on the dual core may have something to do with it? If I step down to a 4600+ whith the same clock but 2x 512 cache I will be fine again?

thats a very small sacrifice to make if it works right? 2x 512 more cpu cache vs .5+ GB of ram?
I don't know computers that well, I just put them together from time to time so somone stop me if they think hunting down a 4600+ to try is a waste of effort....
Score
a b } Memory
April 29, 2010 12:11:48 PM

I don't see why that should help. I can't remember what my old boards showed. If only I had my socket 939 with my, but unfortunately that is back at home.

In reality though, I doubt that you will see a big loss in most applications by losing a little ram.
Score
May 2, 2010 12:00:04 AM

ghkj21 said:
...Now when I had the athlon 3800+ (single core) installed It showed 3GB ram in the system properties...
...Is there anyway I can get this to show 3GB ram again In XP professional SP3 (32bit)or even 4?

I lied, I installed a second 7800GT OC a few weeks before the I installed the processor. I never checked the memory untill I was checking clock speeds for the new processor.... (I'm sure your are giving a sigh @ the monitor and possbly saying "noob" as you read this lol)

so today I got my new pre-programed bios chip and the above occured to me and I booted up the new CPU with only 1 gfx card. 2.75 GB (matching a 128mb card?)it says. so now I gotta figure out why my a gfx card with independant ram and no onboard GFX is trying to match the existing GFX ram...

edit, ok so changing sli arpeture from auto to disabled got my full 3gb ram back when using 1 card and gives me 2.75gb with 2 cards.... I guess I'll do without SLI for now since that is a the lesser of 2 evils in my case. or I'll start a new thread later after I poke arround in this new direction.

thanks all...
Score
a b } Memory
May 2, 2010 4:44:48 AM

Well, glad you got is (somewhat) figured out.
Score
May 12, 2010 1:06:22 AM

Now why can't I select my own as the best answer?
someone can quote the below...

The problem is not your CPU. The when 2 video cards are installed on an a8n-SLI motherboard sets aside system ram to match video ram sizes. (you just didn't check until you changed your CPU) When only 1 video card is installed no memory will be set aside.
In you BIOS you have an SLI Aperture Setting with 2 options;
Auto- Aperture size is equal to the sum of 2 cards (0.5GB if you have 2x 256mb cards installed)
Disabled- memory is still set aside in an amount equal to that of the card in slot #2 (0.25GB if you have 2x 256mb cards installed)

If you want your full 3 gigs without sacrificing video quality a single 512mb or higher 200 or 400 series GeForce card will smoke your current SLI configuration.

Either that or buy a new computer lol
Score

Best solution

a b } Memory
May 12, 2010 2:11:40 AM

ghkj21 said:
Now why can't I select my own as the best answer?
someone can quote the below...

The problem is not your CPU. The when 2 video cards are installed on an a8n-SLI motherboard sets aside system ram to match video ram sizes. (you just didn't check until you changed your CPU) When only 1 video card is installed no memory will be set aside.
In you BIOS you have an SLI Aperture Setting with 2 options;
Auto- Aperture size is equal to the sum of 2 cards (0.5GB if you have 2x 256mb cards installed)
Disabled- memory is still set aside in an amount equal to that of the card in slot #2 (0.25GB if you have 2x 256mb cards installed)

If you want your full 3 gigs without sacrificing video quality a single 512mb or higher 200 or 400 series GeForce card will smoke your current SLI configuration.

Either that or buy a new computer lol

That what you wanted :lol: 

I agree, while you shouldn't be able to give yourself a "best answer" and points, you should be able to clearly mark what the solution was (even if your found it) for later readers.
May 12, 2010 2:27:26 AM

Best answer selected by ghkj21.
n
nThanks, not just for that but also for trying the whole time. :) 
Score
a b } Memory
May 12, 2010 2:28:42 AM

No problem. Might have found the answer sooner except I never had more the 2GB of ram in my FX60/A8N computer (though I did have two 256MB cards).
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 21, 2012 7:12:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!