Sign in with
Your question

Just got the 5850, how do i install?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2009 12:42:20 AM

i'm building my first computer, and have never installed a graphics card.

i put it in the slot on the motherboard, and then do i need to plug anything to the other end for power? or do i just insert into the motherboard?

I can't find a connection that will fit the side. they are square, and i have connectors that fit it from the power supply but it's not snug it just slides in loosely and not all the way, the PCI-E plugs....

anyone?

More about : 5850 install

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2009 1:02:50 AM

Sounds like the clamp on the PCI-e power connector may have broken off. Can you look to see if the power connector has any broken plastic on the side?

Also, which PSU do you have?
m
l
November 5, 2009 1:14:58 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMPSU-750TX-750-Watt-Cert...

there's the power supply, and there are a few PCI e connectors... there's lots of connectors on this power supply actually haha.

but yeah they fit but it's like they can't go all the way in to make it snap. i tried to apply a good amount of pressure and it just don't go in...?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2009 1:16:29 AM

Flip the connector over and plug it in.
m
l
November 5, 2009 1:30:00 AM

yay!

well for some reason i tried it again and maybe it was a different connector or something but it went right in.

see how there are two hookups though, do i need to go ahead and fill both of those with PCI-E connectors from the power supply?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2009 1:42:02 AM

yes
m
l
November 5, 2009 2:07:50 AM

The 5850 requires both 6 pin connectors. If your PSU has multiple 12 volt rails, you'll obviously want separate rails feeding each of those connectors.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2009 2:08:46 AM

LOL.

1 down 1 to go.

Just hang in there and we'll get it.
m
l
November 5, 2009 2:16:57 AM

you guys are great.

well i turned it on, and it is asking for the system disk, and i put it in and it says it cannot find it and to enter it and press enter.... yay! haha dang
m
l
January 11, 2010 1:47:07 AM

there's the power supply, and there are a few PCI e connectors... there's lots of connectors on this power supply actually haha.

but yeah they fit but it's like they can't go all the way in to make it snap. i tried to apply a good amount of pressure and it just don't go in...?[/quotemsg]

JT,

Just went through the same thing with the same card. Seems you have to work/wiggle the PCI-E Connectors around until they magically slide & lock into their sockets.

I, too, didn't want to force them, and your post reassured me that I was on the right track, that my approach was OK. Got 'em both connected with a minimum of swearing & no broken or bent parts.

Thanks,

John

m
l
!