Sign in with
Your question

Can I upgrade my integrated graphics card on my laptop?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2009 1:59:54 AM

I have a Gateway Laptop with an integrated Radeon HD 3200. I'd like to upgrade it, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

I'm very experienced in desktop hardware, but not so much when it comes to laptops. Any idea how to get started on this or if it's even possible?

Thanks!

~Dac
November 5, 2009 2:05:48 AM

No can do.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 2:05:52 AM

No, I'm afraid it isn't possible. The 3200 is an integrated (part of Northbridge) but even if it were a discrete laptop chip, often they are attached in (and you can't get the parts anyway). So, unfortunately no.
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 2:20:58 AM

No. You would have to replace the motherboard and there are only a few, if there are any at all, that would fit inside that casing. Basically if Gateway offers that same laptop with a dedicated GPU, then you would have to find out what model number that is and get the motherboard, as well as the cooling solution, for that model. You would need to take the entire laptop apart, replace the parts, and put it all back together carefully without breaking any of those darn little parts.
m
l
November 5, 2009 2:47:32 AM

Ok. Thanks for the advice, guys. It handles L4D2 at lowest settings, so I guess I'm ok with it. =)
m
l
November 5, 2009 3:31:02 AM

Asus tried to market a USB graphics card setup.

Results were crap and it never made it to market if I recall correctly.

Save your money and build a desktop for gaming.
m
l
January 5, 2010 5:48:58 AM

can i add g card to dv 5 1102tu from HP
m
l
January 6, 2010 1:34:27 PM

Quote:
nope, and why bother? Desktop ftw ^^

i dont have desktop but have this lappy(HP pavilion DV5 1102tu) cant invest now on desktop. :( 
need some suggestions to improve graphics on my lappy..
m
l
January 6, 2010 1:47:00 PM

varun2887 said:
i dont have desktop but have this lappy(HP pavilion DV5 1102tu) cant invest now on desktop. :( 
need some suggestions to improve graphics on my lappy..

nothing you can do....
m
l
!