Would you buy a new LGA 1156 mobo for more overclock?

wildside50

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I currently have an i7-860 sitting on an Intel brand DH55HC motherboard. I have it overclocked as high as the board will allow, since it won't let me adjust voltage at all. At stock voltage, I can get it to run stable at 150 BLCK, and on the 860 that translates to a base speed of 3150, 4-core turbo speed of 3.3 Ghz; respectable to be sure. But it is also water cooled, and runs very cold. I feel like there is so much overclock being left on the table.

If you were in my shoes, would you try to find a new LGA 1156 mobo that is more overclock friendly, or just live with this rig until I can afford an ivy bridge in a year or two?

e56imfg

Distinguished

There aren't that many 1156 mobos nowadays so your better off waiting for Ivy Bridge or Haswell.

wildside50

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Yeah, I was going to see if my local Microcenter had any on clearance or maybe get a used one relatively cheap or something. Another 500-700 mhz for $~75 seemed like a good deal. I do a lot of video editing so I always want to get as much power as I possibly can; not just to have a higher number to gloat about. But I never really get a good sense of how much time I'll save per Mhz. Maybe I think it'll be more noticably than it would be.

Ah well, all's well that Has-well.